I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

snake skin &
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2010 03:03PM

Hello fellow rodbuilders,

I am about to take my first shot at a snake skin inlay for a butt decoration. I've read the article in RM magazine and all the other tutorials that i can find. The question is which cp would you more experienced rodbuilders reach for as a first choice for tacking down and coating the skin? I have the following brands; Flex Coat, Glass Coat, Gudebrod 811, Diamondite, Chroma Seal, Casons CC water based, and some old Cabelas stuff that will re-arrange your brain cells if inhaled for too long. Which one have you used with good results? I don't know which brand I should use, and I don't have enough skin for multiple tests.

Thanks in advance for your replies or suggestions!

Rog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: snake skin &
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2010 04:02PM

Roger,

I used Chroma Seal on my last one and it turned out fine, I have also used U-40 Color Lock 2 with really good results. I think just about anything you have would work fine as long as you get a couple really good coats on it. The Chromaseal locks it down pretty quick.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2010 04:15PM

I've used Chromo seal and Flexcoat both worked good also. Check out the Video tutorial on Mudhole

sorry Double post
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2010 04:15PM

Sorry Double Post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2010 04:17PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 17, 2010 04:23PM

I always use U40's Color Lock. Nothing but great results.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 17, 2010 04:36PM

Do NOT use a solvent-based CP with snake skin. Water-based CP wets the skin and makes it flexible and pliable. Solvent-based CP dries the skin and makes it hard to work with.

Posted by: Walter Rehberg (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 17, 2010 04:36PM

Roger, I have applied many snake skins using Flex Coat, U-40 Color Lock 2, American Tackle Tread Sealer and Casons CC non water based. Each of these sealers have done a satisfactory job, but in my opion the Casons is superior. I am very impressed with this product. It is water clear, it coats extremely well and decorative feathers are a breeze to apply with it. It is, however, not as quick to set up as the others I have used. I can only assume the Casons water based product will work for you as well as the non water based Casons works for me.

Walt

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wch2ks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2010 09:33PM

I'm on the Chromo seal side. Mine turned extremely well.

Date: July 18, 2010 12:14AM

Walter, the advice not to use the solvent-based CP came from Mr. Cason himself at the Expo. He was quite specific about it. I can say that his water-based product works very well on snake skin.

I have used his solvent-based product for feather inlays, and it does a terrific job for that application. It is also an excellent choice for Madeira and Metro poly threads.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 19, 2010 01:06AM

I use U-40 Color Lock or Chromaseal

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Walter Rehberg (173.27.168.---)
Date: July 20, 2010 12:48AM

Gary, I have not experienced any problems with Cason's solvent-based CP. Mr. Cason must have run up against a problem that I have not experienced. I have found the product to be consistently exceptional in all working aspects. The only downside to the product is that it is unpleasantly odoriferous. And because of the distasteful fumes I had already ordered Casons' water based equivalent. I hope it works as well.

Walt

Date: July 20, 2010 08:37AM

Walt, if you are going to use the water-based on Madeira or Metro poly threads, be sure to do a color test first. The solvent-based works fine with these threads, but the water-based has caused me some color-change problems.

Posted by: Bill Cason (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2010 01:05PM

The reason I don't recommend the solvent based product is that it can, with some snake skins, make the skin brittle and hard to work with. The water based product makes it pliable and does a very good job on snake skin. Feathers, however, seem better handled with the solvent based product.

The water based product has now been improved to eliminate the "haze" issue some users have seen in the past. If you have a bottle of prior product then please drop me an email. We will trade addresses and I'll send you a bottle of the new stuff.

Best,

Bill Cason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster