I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RodMaker Reception
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 16, 2010 01:50PM

Each year at the RodMaker Reception during the Expo, we give away roughly 75 to 100 door prizes. For 2011, thanks to the generosity of one of the magazine's advertisers., we’ll be expanding that number to roughly 200 door prizes. No kidding - a very large package arrived this morning and it's chock full of reel seats, guide sets, grips, etc., etc. Between now and then I’ll sort it all out and prepare the items for the free Reception drawings. The company making the donation will be credited, of course, at the Reception.

We usually have between 350 and 400 rod builders attend the Reception and it’s always been a goal of mine that everybody there get something. This donation puts us another step closer to that goal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RodMaker Reception
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 03:14PM

I attended my first Expo & RodMaker Reception last Feb. and although I didn't get drawn for any of the "goodies" I did get something. Anyone who has ever attended the RM Reception knows what I'm talking about, and I know Tom you wish everyone could get some "goodies". However, the Recpetion is much more than that in my opinion.

Thanks!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 03:46PM

EVERYBODY there already gets something for free......free food and drink and admission to an event where they may win a free door prize from a Renzetti lathe to any number of rod blanks and components. Already a pretty great deal if you ask me.

Posted by: carl harvell (---.lightspeed.mtryca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 06:00PM

Tom,, I have to congraulate you,, you take care of your posters and anyone thats just starting out as rod building, whether its as a hobby or as a new business you are the man

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 08:07PM

I attended in 2009 and I won a prize! It was great!!! I won a hat with the rod builders symbol on it.

The sad part is it was to cover up my bald head. he he heee!

Actually, along with the prizes, food and drink, the best prize was to be around some of the great rod builders I met. How nice it is to put faces on some of these names I see everyday.

I thought there was going to be top notch entertainment too. It turned out to be Billy in his wizard costume. That was entertaining enough!!! LOL

I really hope I can make it this year It is worth the trip.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 09:02PM

It's fascinating to me that although women are outnumbered at the reception probably 4 to 1, they seem to win a heck of a lot of these door prizes. I'm not complaining-actually it's neat that they do, I just find it puzzling. At the last Expo in Charlotte, I brought a friend who does not build rods, and he won a Visualwrap program. He had no idea what it was. I, of course, convinced him to give it up. He did, although with reluctance. I love the door prizes and the whole reception. For one evening, all of the subscribers and vendors can talk without being rushed by the need for the vendors to conduct business.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 11:59PM

I was another one at his first reception, not my first expo, and I didn't win anything. I had a great time too. Talked to a bunch of really nice people and have no idea who most of them were. I wish everybody had been wearing a name tag because it would help. I'll be back in February maybe I can win a reel seat!

I also noticed the high percentage of women prize winners along with the multiple prize winners.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.midd.adsl.virginmedia.com)
Date: July 17, 2010 05:53AM

You guys are just so lucky, we have nothing like this in the UK, just a few country shows where the manufacturers are trying to sell you stuff you probably dont really need.
Cheers,
Phil.

Date: July 17, 2010 08:05AM

Les,

It may seem like it, but there are no multiple prize winners at the Reception. To spread the winnings out I remove the ticket of each winner from the "hat" once pulled. So you can't win twice.

Then, just before the grand prizes (Renzetti Lathe, Batson Power Wrapper and Rod Shop Eco Wrapper) are drawn for, I put all the names back in so that everyone has a chance at the grand prizes. Otherwise, each ticket is good for only one win. This ensures that the greatest number of people possible will all leave with some sort of door prize.

There are some additional door prizes given away at the Expo itself (Heritage Fishing Kayak for one) but that's a different event.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 19, 2010 02:57PM

Okay, it is never too early to plan. Can anyone give me a ball park idea to pack/ship a 7' to 8' salt water blank to miami (using the provided services)?

I'm trying to ascertain if I should rent a van on jump on amtrak and pay shipping.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 19, 2010 05:40PM

Russell -

The expense is SURELY not something that would make one bit of difference in my chosen mode of transportation. There has been a shipping company at the last couple of shows. Even if they charged twice what FedEx or UPS would charge directly ... you are most likely only talking about $25-30 for a single tube full of blanks. My last shipment of a finished rod to California from Tampa was only $16.00 ... insured.

Jim -

Date: July 19, 2010 06:57PM

You could likely carry something like that back on Amtrak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster