I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod for Grandson to be proud of.
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 11:08PM

A friend wants me to build her a rod for her grandson that he would be proud to own. That is a tough one, as it introduces a psychological element into the mix. She wants a 7'6" fast action rod for snook, trout and red fish. This is primarily a saltwater choice, inshore or rather backcountry, but also for bass on occasion. Her granson just graduated from FSU, so she wants the colors to be gold and garnet; not sure I have and garnet thread. She is going to outfit it with a Shimano Stradic; although she did not indicate which model. This sounds like a great grandmom to me...but my thoughts run to St. Croix but they are expensive. So I was thinking that perhaps I could get a little assistance in locating a suitable rod tha is high quality and more moderately priced. Perhaps one of Mud Holes MHX rods. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod for Grandson to be proud of.
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 05:12AM

Lamiglas IMP 904. I have one that is designated as a guest rod and it is TOUGH, feels light and regularly gets abused by noobs pulling in big reds. The color might not work as mine is a very deep blue, not sure of that's still how they make 'em. That would be perfect for snook and larger bass.

Of the MHX line, the MB941 is great at 7'10", this is one of the very few instances that I could recommend trimming a litte off the tip, maybe 2" from each end. That tip just feels a little light for throwing the rated 1 oz max. Excellent blank though. Maybe also look at the L904 or even better, the FS904 from the MHX line depending on the action you're going after.

Steve

Date: July 16, 2010 07:51AM

I forgot to mention that she wants graphite...I imagine because of its light weight.

Clinton

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 08:30AM

I have tried most of what is out there for the very same fish. My hands-down favorite at ANY price is the Castaway SWA P905. Also called the 765, it is actually a 4 power rod. Medium heavy power, throws a lure a country mile but will not rip a delicate bait off the hook on the cast. This is the best rod for the above stated purposes I have ever owned, and my local flats guides agree.

Swampland has them...Lance is likely still at ICAST, but he will be back soon. And the price will leave you smiling. (And even if it isn't on the website, he likely has a few...at least until my next order.)

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 11:15AM

NEW Rainshadow RX8 Popping Rod Blanks

Sequim WA – July 1st, 2010 – one of the fishing industry’s leading blank suppliers, Batson Enterprises, is pleased to announce 11 new popping blank models
Due to the overwhelming success of the RX8 bass blank series we decided to develop a new series of popping rod blanks based on the same technology.
• Proprietary blending and modulus positioning of RX8 & RX7 graphite
• Unbelievable combination of balance, sensitivity and strength
• 10 - 20% lighter than comparable Rainshadow RX7 blanks
Model Length Action Lure Line Section Color Butt Tip Blank Wt. MSRP Application
XP840 7'0" Mod Fast 1/32-3/16oz. 4-6lb. 1 TC 0.360 4.00 1.09 oz. $67.20 Trout / panfish light jigs and tube etc.
XP841 7'0" Mod Fast 3/16-3/8oz. 4-10lb. 1 TC 0.360 4.50 1.21 oz. $69.83 Trout / panfish light jigs and tube etc.
XP842 7'0" Mod Fast 1/4-1/2oz. 6-12lb. 1 TC 0.405 4.50 1.35 oz. $74.55 Inshore / sea trout
XP843 7'0" Mod Fast 1/4-5/8oz. 8-14lb. 1 TC 0.460 5.00 1.55 oz. $81.90 All purpose trout / redfish / inshore / popping corks
XP844 7'0" Mod Fast 1/4-3/4oz. 8-17lb. 1 TC 0.478 5.00 1.58 oz $85.05 Heavy inshore / larger redfish / snook
XP845 7'0" Mod Fast 3/8-1oz. 10-20lb. 1 TC 0.489 5.00 1.76 oz $87.15 Heavy inshore / larger redfish / snook
XP902 7'6" Mod Fast 1/4-1/2oz. 6-12lb. 1 TC 0.444 4.50 1.53 oz $87.15 inshore / small topwaters / specked sea trout
XP903 7'6" Mod Fast 1/4-5/8oz. 8-14lb. 1 TC 0.485 5.00 1.75 .oz. $90.83 inshore popping corks /redfish /snook
XP904 7'6" Mod Fast 1/4-3/4oz. 8-17lb. 1 TC 0.500 5.00 2.1 .oz. $99.75 Heavy inshore / larger redfish / snook
XP963 8'0" Mod Fast 1/4-5/8oz. 8-14lb. 1 TC 0.490 5.00 1.9 .oz. $110.40 inshore popping corks /redfish /snook
XP964 8'0" Mod Fast 1/4-3/4oz. 8-17lb. 1 TC 0.520 5.50 2.26 .oz. $117.00 Heavy inshore / larger redfish / snook
• Beautiful Titanium Chrome finish
• Limited lifetime warranty

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 12:22PM

Here is a picture of a new Stradic C4 with Gudebrod Garnet and silver trim. [www.rodbuilding.org]

I think the above mentioned blanks would all work, but the Titanium Chrome Batson blanks I have are very, very nice! The finish is perfect and they are extremely light. I will be trying some of the new popping blanks.

Chuck

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 01:05PM

The Batson Titaniums ARE nice, no doubt about it, but don't disregard their new RX 6 popping blanks. Price point is lower, but still a darned good blank. I have already built 4 rods on them.
Chuck, that's beautiful. I'm not a fan of split grips or carbon grips on my personal rods, but for light weight you can't beat that type of grip coupled with that reel.

Date: July 16, 2010 01:30PM

Where can I get the split grip. Mud Hole?

Clinton

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 02:14PM

The one in the picture was done in my shop with 8# 2-part urethane foam and 1.25" light carbon sleeve coated with West Systems epoxy and finally with three coats of Helmsman gloss urethane. If Mud Hole carried them it would save me a bunch of time! They do carry cork and EVA split grips as well as complete CRB handle kits. With their handle kit you could use a 7' blank and extend it to 7' 6" pretty easily.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 03:35PM

Regardless of the blank & component choice Clinton you can click with the "proud to own" part by adding special personalization to the rod.

An FSU decal and or motto is a start and or maybe a special decal with Grandma's name or name he calls her (granny, gramma, gran, nanna, you get the picture) saying Congratulations.

I'm sure your client can help you with the "special" parts if you let her know what can be done besides thread colors.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 03:55PM

Clinton -- Steve Johnson provided a very good suggestion with the MB941 MHX, trimmed to 7'-6". Very versatile blank.

Chuck -- Glad you posted that picture of your work. That is very nice, clean and excellent work. Superb job!!

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: July 16, 2010 06:37PM

I like these suggestions. How do I pursue the decal idea further? Is there someone who can make these decals or are they simply available somewhere. I would not be surprised if the FSU logo were not available as a decal somewhere. Go Nolles!!!

Clinton

Posted by: Joe Robbins (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 07:11PM

Very nice work, I really like the grip.

Joe

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 07:21PM

Clinton,

MudHole has most if not all of the major college decals.

Decal Connection can create many types of decals to order and will help you.

You can also print your own but that requires a bit of a learning curve. A back issue of RodMaker magazine has a good article about how to make your own decals.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2010 04:51AM

Rodmaker 12-1

Not much learning curve required. If you can handle very basic photo editing and have an inkjet printer then you can make a decal.

Email if you want help.

Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster