I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AFAW 13' BEACH
Posted by: Mike Dimino (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 10:15PM

I JUST PURCHASED A AFAW 13' BEACH BLANK.I AM LOOKING TO BUILD IT, HOWEVER I HAVE NEVER BUILT A ROD LIKE THIS BEFORE. THE NORM FOR ME IS A 8-11' SURF RODS NOTHING THIS BIG.
CAN ANYBODY STEER ME IN THE RITE DIRECTION FOR STARTING. EX. WERE SHOULD I PLACE MY FIRST GUIDE,AND POSSIBLY GUIDE SIZES.ETC ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AFAW 13' BEACH
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 12:21AM

Unhide you email and I will help you out, aslo are you looking for spinning or casting?

Date: July 16, 2010 06:36PM

SORRY ABOUT THE EMAIL .I TOOK CARE OF IT. AND I AM LOOKING TO BUILD IT CONVENTIONAL.THANKS

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 18, 2010 08:19AM

Sent you an email

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 05:35PM

Me too!

Date: July 19, 2010 06:02PM

THANKS GUYS YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP.EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED AND MORE.NOW I CAN GET STARTED.

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: July 21, 2010 12:02PM

I know I am late to the party but with surf rods, one of the biggest factors for starting a rod is how far up the blank you want the reel seat to be (or even if you want a reel seat).

A big problem for me with factory surf rods is that the reel seat is too close to the bottom of the blank. Usually around 28" or 30". I get better leverage when the reel seat is around 34 - 36" inches.

After I get my reel seat in place I try and get my first guide (from the reel) as far away as possible with out the line hitting the grips.

After that I use static loading to place the rest of the guides. I try and get down to my smallest sized guides as quickly as possible. Usually I only have 3 sizes of guides on my rods. The big first guide, a transition guide and then the running guides to the end.

Typically I do something like 30 -- 25 --- 16 -- 16 -- 16-- 16--16 or 25 --16 ---12---12--12--12--12--12.

I use big running guides because I stick to mono line and a shock leader that need to be tied together. 17lb main line tied to a 50 60 or 80 lb shock leader has a big knot no matter how you tie it (I personally use a two knot system spider hitch to no-name). I also use my surf rods with the size 16 guides when there is a lot of grass/weeds in the surf. Its a lot easier to deal with the weed balls when they don't get caught in the guides as easily.

Date: August 01, 2010 06:09PM

HI JAMES, SORRY I HAVN'T BEEN ON IN A FEW DAYS. JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR THE ADVISE AND LET YOU KNOW I AGREE I LIKE A LONGER BUTT ON ALL OF MY RODS AS WELL. FUNNY STORY I HAD A ROD BUILT FOR ME A WHILE AGO BEFORE I STARTED BUILDING MYSELF.THE ROD WAS A BEUTIFUL PIECE OF WORK HOWEVER I DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHY I DID NOT LIKE THE FEEL. TWO TIMES WHILE FISHING WITH THE ROD IT COMPLETELY FLEW OUT OF MY HANDS ON THE CAST BOTH TIMES IN TOTAL AMAZEMENT TO MY FISHING PARTNER. I NEVER KNEW WHY I THOUGHT IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE FACT THAT IT WAS AN ALL GLASS ROD AND MOST OF MY RODS WERE GRAFITE. I THOUGHT THE DIFFERENT FLEX CAUSED IT TO JUMP OUT OF MY HANDS.NEEDLESS TO SAY IT ENDED UP IN THE ROD RACK FOR MANY YEARS. IN THIS TIME I BEGAN BUILDING RODS MYSELF AND ONE DAY I MOVED THE REEL SEAT UP 3" INCHES ON THAT ROD AND NOW IT IS ONE OFF MY FAVORITE CASTING RODS. I GUESS THAT IS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF WHY PEOPLE SPEND MONEY ON CUSTOM RODS. WE GET TO PICK AND CHOOSE A PERFECT FEEL. WELL SORRY TO TALK YOU EAR OFF BUT THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster