I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which u go first ;
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 15, 2010 12:57AM

before you make a process to build a rod, which one will u prefer go first ?
for sample.. first get blank then think what to build for before order a compenets for this blank OR go get get compenets before get blank ?? i just want to straight it out what is more important to make a process for build a rod

1st BLANKS

2nd Compenets

OR

1st Compenets

2nd BLANKS

Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which u go first ;
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 01:20AM

If you are talking about actually acquiring them, get them all at the same time. If you are only talking about the process of putting together the build plan,I always start with the blank.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 01:42AM

Phil is right on track. Plan the rod for what you want it to do, so fisrt will be the technique that you are looking to perform, then you will select the blank that best suites that goal. You will then need to select your components that you would like to make up the rod and finally thread and or theme/scheme of the rod that you want to achive.

Tom

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 01:45AM

First you have to decide for what species of fish the rod is intended to catch. Then you'll settle on a technique. IE: flat line trolling, still fishing, vertical jigging, downrigger, drift fishing, drop shotting, etc... Then select a blank of appropriate material and design for the species and style. Guide choice can mostly be decided by the technique for which the rod will be employed as well as performance and weight considerations. Choose ring material based on what type and size of line will be used. Grips and reel seats are examples of form following function. You likely wont put a spinning reel seat on a trolling rod and you arent going to pair a heavy grip style with lightest guides you can find. With the species, techniques, reel and line type figured out you can then move onto some finer points. Are you going to revolver wrap your heavy trolling rod or employ micro guides with a Roberts wrap on your light kokanee downrigger rod. Do you want a "new concept" guide set up on your spinning rod or a traditional setup, etc... Then comes the fun stuff. Style, craftsmanship and artistic input. I like to have a theme or at least a concept of some sort and build on that. Your imagination and creativity at this point is a contrast to the previous, more analytical steps in the process and is also the most fun for most rod builders. Just make sure your style considerations dont trip over the functionality of the technique for which you are building the rod.

So to answer your question more directly I personally would have a hard time building a rod around a guide, or foregrip, or anyother component. For me there is no other way than to choose a blank first.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 09:56AM

Don't be afraid to let dour supplier help you determine the best componants you need for your specific build. By working with the supplier, you can get the blank you want, the componants, and ship it together.Saves $$ and your finished rod will do a better job as you intended. This is what they do! And they are easy to talk to.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 11:38AM

Josh,
Generally, I build rods in batches.
I am generally first concerned about the blanks. I will make a list of the needs for the rods, do my searching and selecting and get the blanks on order.

Then, depending on the particular client, and each of the individuals needs, I will make the decision on the rest of the components. Guides, handles etc.

Over time, one tends to gather a variety of components. i.e. guides, handles etc.

So then, it is simply a matter of matching the appropriate guides, handles and thread colors to the needs and wishes of the client.

Then, time to go to work, prepare, build, finish and ship the rods.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 15, 2010 12:09PM

well i'm not about to sell a custom rod to anyone, just a myself build what i need or want.. just want to make sure i understand clear the plan of build a rod.. if anyone who want buy a rod i would just get KITS as undertable as cash, but for myself i perfer my own degsin and techiquie..
i'll have to take 1 a time for sample
when i get my paycheck i'll just get few blanks then wait next paycheck get supplies then can get 1 rod build a time..

Josh

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 15, 2010 03:59PM

Ok I'm wierd. First I think about what fish I want to catch on this blank. Then what colors I am going to use thru the entire rod and my somewhat pre planned design. Will I be able to get the right size trim rings,reel seat hoods and any other component in the colors I want to fit the balnk?
I adjust to my needs and whats available and go from there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster