I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Since no one else has...
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 14, 2010 11:01PM

For everyone worried about matching guides - Loomis just did it. The new NRX bass rods will have half Fujis, half RECs...

All rods feature G.Loomis’ unique ‘Hybrid Guide System’ that combines the strategic placement of both Fuji titanium-framed SIC and REC Recoil black ion coated nickel-titanium guides from the stripper to the tip. “We use stiffer Fuji guides closest to the reel to offer more sensitivity transfer to the angler along with moving weight back to rods’ butt section – plus also on the tip,” said Rajeff, “and then REC black Ion-coated single foot guides that are extremely small and light so as not to impede casting and retrieve performance. Looking down the rod, it looks like the guides disappear off the blank.”

And as for new fibers, here you go:
the NRX construction method is completely unique to rod manufacturing. “By utilizing a stiffer, lighter and higher density carbon married with Nano Silica resin systems, we can provide Steve and his design team with a material that provides all kinds of positive benefits to anglers. The rods are lighter, yet more durable, extremely sensitive, and yet stiffer.

anglers “will uncover a series of rods that are at least 15-percent lighter than similar GLX rods, plus we’re able to offer a durability feature to make them up to 20-percent stronger and more impact resistant,”

Sounds like some of this stuff already linked here...

Price point is $475.

-----------------
AD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 11:02PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Since no one else has...
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 14, 2010 11:20PM

The REC/Fuji hybrid guide train has been here in Florida for over two years. Of course, the new REC "Black Ion" just became available. The setup does reduce SOME weight in the upper quadrant - but IMO it doesn't offer what a fairly basic custom layout offers.

I am thrilled to see more $400, $450 and $500 factory rods. It opens the angler's minds to high-performance rods at a significant price point. Once that is accomplished, it is MUCH easier to make an introduction to custom rods at a proper selling price.

The new design resins are of interest. Hopefully, we will have access to blanks incorporating the technology before the end of the year.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 01:09AM

And a micro rod from Wright and McGill... gotta love day 1 of iCast.

The new Micro Honeycomb rods feature a totally new construction that results in a thinner, lighter and more sensitive blank material. In addition to the new high-tech blanks, the rods will feature the popular new micro guides that aid in casting distance and control, as well as enhance the sensitivity of the rod by reducing weight and creating more contact points for the line.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 15, 2010 10:33AM

Jim, do you like the REC guides for redfish/tarpon rods? Do they sing?

What about on a fly rod for the same fish?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (96.47.201.---)
Date: July 15, 2010 01:45PM

Been building my rods like that for several years now. Posted letters to most of the major rod manufacturers several years ago when I stumbled on it. About time one of the big guys finally realized how well they work. Watch how quickly the others come around.
Extremely good for any fly rod as it reduces polar moment of inertia and makes the rod swing lighter and dampen quicker.
Yes they do sing. They also catch more fish.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 01:57PM

Acid Rod has some single foot wire guides from England that should not sing, different then regular single foot wire they have a higher ring.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 15, 2010 02:50PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim, do you like the REC guides for redfish/tarpon
> rods? Do they sing?
>
> What about on a fly rod for the same fish?

I stock RECoil guides for repairs on St Croix Inshore and G Loomis GLX rods. You won't find them on my personal rods and I don't offer them to clients. I am completely sold on Fuji Titanium Alloy (not plated) Guides with Silicon Carbide rings. My "budget" guides are Fuji Alconites.

Date: July 15, 2010 04:17PM

Jim

you don't like the Amtak Ti guides ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 15, 2010 07:02PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim
>
> you don't like the Amtak Ti guides ??

I don't like or dislike American Tackle, Pacific Bay, Batson or any other. It is simply that my experience with Fuji has been absolutely terrific and I have no reason to change. That might seem like a simple approach, but it works for me and my clients.

Date: July 16, 2010 07:39AM

Can not seem to find any Ti Ring Lock ? Does Fuji make them ??

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster