I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Castaway MICROWAVE
Posted by: Mark Clooten (209.159.152.---)
Date: July 14, 2010 09:02PM

But maybe someone will make some money from siupporting a product of a certain kind? just to keep that in mind. it is something to consider.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2010 09:38PM

Mark,

Keep this in mind - I do not sell blanks nor components. I am not in that business. I do not sell Fuji, Castaway, Pac Bay, Seeker, St. Croix, etc., etc., etc., products of any kind. I have no vested interest in any company’s products or services. I do not receive any type of special compensation from any rod component supply manufacturer or dealer. Any free samples I receive during the year are given away, at no charge, at the RodMaker Reception during the Expo. In fact, two dealers recently offered to sponsor the RodMaker reception at the Expo in 2011. One offered me $5000 and the other offered me $3000. I turned both down in the interest of keeping that event, along with the magazine, this forum and the Expo totally unbiased and without any undue influence from any company or entity. I have given the boot to folks that I was on a very friendly basis with, due to rules violations here on this very forum. If you think you can buy any sort of influence or special consideration from me here, in the magazine or at the Expo. you’d best think again. It can’t be done, not for any amount of money. No way, no how. It can’t be done. Cough up a million bucks - you'll still be turned down.

Posted by: gena box (---.sub-75-242-144.myvzw.com)
Date: July 15, 2010 07:57AM

Just for the record. We have tested with the same model blank, the same reel, line, and lure. The only difference was the guide setup. We experienced an increase in distance and accuracy, not to mention the improvement in weight, balance, and feel. We will not engage in an exact number discussion because just as Mr. Kirkman has said there are too many different types of set ups and variables that would yield varying degrees of results. I also agree that the custom rod builder segment is generally very knowledgeable and typically makes a better product to start with than the average production rod company.

However, due to the high speed photography technology available today, we have seen with our own eyes how the MICROWAVE works and it does work. We have done quite a bit of testing under different circumstances with different variables and it was superior. It will be several months before we receive our first shipment of production guides, but we welcome all testers. We believe that the results will show that the MICROWAVE is a significant advancement.

Respectfully,
Gena Box Young

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 08:09AM

Thank you for that information Gena. It would still be nice to know which other guide set ups you compared against. What the line looks like going out and where it lands do not always go hand in hand. I do not doubt that the line looks very smooth going out through the Microwave guide. I saw the video someone posted earlier. But it still doesn't answer my question as to the increase in casting distance over any other modern type set up. I will wait until Tom gets some builders together and does a more lengthy test so all we will have the numbers against other known guide systems.

My only other question would be is the Microwave guide intended to be used with a certain reel, like the Wavespin? Or do the same results come from any good spinning reel?

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 03:11PM

I find the best route is usually in the middle of the road. The guys who say this guide cannot work without even trying it are way off base. But the guys who say it will revolutionize the spinning rod or double your distance are equally looney, IMO.I trust what Tom is saying but would also welcome a real world magazine test done by known rod builders who are respected in this craft and have nothing to gain from the guide failing or succeeding in its claims. And of course I can also try one for myself, which I plan to do.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 11:43PM

My only problem with the guide is that Lance would not let me strip it off the rod and brIng it home with me. In all seriousness, I think a great majority fo people are going to be impressed with it, and some won't stray away from tradition. That is what makes the world go round. I actually already have a rod sold with this particular guide, just also happens to be for a client that has a wavespin reel on a previous rod I built for him. "TIME WILL TELL"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 07:18AM

As Tom mentioned the spin/cast reels cast very well.

Soo why not try to simulate this. The cover acts like a guide ring. The line comes off the spool and the pig tails rub the inside of the cover and then are pulled out the small ring.

So trying a guide 3/4ers of the size of a regular spinning reel face plate- larger or smaller - but a lot closer 8 - 5" and having the line path in the center on the ring - acting as the cover, Then another guide right after maybe an inch, varying distance. of that guide say a 10 -8 ring.

What one would try to do is simulate the cover of the spin/cast reel .

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (12.70.3.---)
Date: July 16, 2010 07:52AM

Its more the shape of the outer perimeter of the larger guide that makes it transition to the smaller inner guide that makes this work from what I saw when handeling it at the show.

Date: July 16, 2010 07:56AM

shape of the outer perimeter of the larger guide How ?? The line goes into the inside of the rig. Which is just Round.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 08:24AM

I am not sure you could simulate the spincast reel with just a couple of guides. It isn't that the line comes off the spool on a spincast reel and then only hits the opening, the line is rubbing on the whole inside of the spincast reel.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 16, 2010 08:37AM

What a spincast reels does you can't duplicate with guides. The reel cover keeps the line from ever billowing outward. By the time you reach the butt guide on a spinning rod, the line is already billowing outward from the spool. Even if you put a small guide right up at the spool you wouldn't have the same situation without that forward cover.

Anyone that is of the impression that the Microwave guide doesn't work is simply wrong - it certainly does work. But so do a lot of other spinning system concepts. The question is, does it work better than other systems and if so, how much. I already have those answers but we'll repeat the tests with a group of known builders in the most scientific process possible. This will give us true results instead of mere opinions or impressions. The only wait will be in obtaining one of the Microwave rods. We're going to use one of the finished rods that Castaway sells so there will be no question that the Microwave system has been set up correctly. We'll also use the reel and line they recommend.

Date: July 16, 2010 08:43AM

I realize this guys. But the larger butt guide - of xx size- acts like the cover, maybe larger then the 1/2 spool face size in the concept, then the smaller guide acts like the small ring in the cover. Funnel affect. Also having the line path in the center of the guides, not the top of them should also help greatly.

Sizes would have to played with. And distance from the spool face.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 08:45AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 16, 2010 06:49PM

The outer perimeter is what funnels it

Date: July 17, 2010 08:19AM

Took a look at the M guides and they only go to a 25 ring

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 19, 2010 01:28AM

I got to cast the Castaway Microwave rod at ICAST. Lance, myself and Lynn Williams took the rod outside the convention center on a 115 degree day. I got some pics and some video. Got a good video of the line going thru the 1st guide that I can run in slow motion that looks pretty cool. We did cast a factory rod also with the wave spin reel and weight, built with a cone of flight setup. The Microwave rod has a different sound as the line passes thru thats pretty noticeable. We did no measuring of distance only casting each one several times. Of course there was a notable difference, perhaps when there available, the testing can be done as Tom stated and recorded. I got to talk with Doug Hannon about the Wave spin reel and got to see several models they have, I would like to try one on the Carolina Cast Pro 11' spinning rod to throw metal from the beach, I think that would be a good combo.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (69.162.116.---)
Date: July 20, 2010 06:59AM

So there are still no measurements of any kind and they are only comparing it against an old fashioned cone of flight system. Enough said.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (109.99.52.---)
Date: June 09, 2012 12:27AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What we'll do in the near future, is buy one of
> the ready made Castaway rods with the Microwave
> system. Then we'll get a half dozen builders to
> come by and each make, say 25 casts with the
> standard rod and record the distances. Then
> we''ll cut off the first few guides and put on a
> NGC type set up and repeat the casting and again
> record the distances. Then we'll remove those and
> install something more "traditional" and again
> repeat the process.
>
> By keeping the same rod, reel and line for all the
> casting we eliminate all the variables except the
> guide systems and the fishermen themselves. The
> latter is one variable we can't do much about but
> the number of casts and builders involved should
> help minimize that aspect. Any differences
> realized should be due to the guide system used.
> At least this would be closer to a true test, not
> subjective opinion nor personal impression.
>
> ..............

have you did that test? if so, which were the results? NGC type set up and repeat the casting and again

kingofbeasts custom rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 12:48AM by carol staiculescu.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster