I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forming a Corp.
Posted by: Walt Lukowski (151.145.238.---)
Date: July 13, 2010 06:54PM

Have any of you guys form a corperation just having a small shop out of you home? I have a business license, resale license and a fed Id now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forming a Corp.
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 06:58PM

Another thought is insurance.

What type and coverage is needed?

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2010 08:32PM

There may not be any advantage to forming a corporation over a sole proprietorship at this point. I'd consult with a CPA and see what they think about this for someone in your situation.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: July 13, 2010 08:41PM

Good advice from Tom here. Your tax person, or a good CPA is where your answer lies. There is not a lot of risk, as far as a corp. is concerned. But some things just veries due to each person's situation. I own a couple small businesses. ! is a small lure co, of which the rod making is a part.
If you operate as a business, weather out of your home or not, there is a risk where insurance may be needed. It will not be real expensive. Check around with agents who sell business ins. But your home owners will not cover business related, unless it is set up to do so.

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2010 02:19AM

If your under 100k in receipts per year and don't need the very small advantages that the Corp. creates. Do it as a Sole Proprietor. If it starts making $$ you can always move it over to any entity that you want.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2010 10:33AM

I operate mine as an LLC on the advice of my accountant. That way if the business crashes and It had any debt I won't be held personally responsible for it. The kicker to that, however, is that at present I don't have any debt for the business and don't ever plan on having any. I used a company online to get the LLC and was very happy with the price and service. If you are interested in that, send me an email at matt@smithandalbury.com and i will give you the details.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 14, 2010 01:42PM

Same - LLC. One nice thing is it seperates your personal finances - as a sole prop. you are the business. So if you get sued, they are suing you because you are the business. It helps afford a bit of protection among other things.

A lot depends on your state laws as well. Some states it's very easy to set up an LLC and can be done for a minimal cost.

-----------------
AD

Date: July 14, 2010 01:50PM

It's not quite that simple - corporate status does not protect the officers of a corporation from being sued. I know, because I'm suing a corporation right now and it's the officers of that corporation that are in the hot seat. They're personally liable under the law regardless of their corporate status.

Debt is another matter, but I'll leave that for a qualified CPA.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 14, 2010 02:56PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Corporate status does not protect the officers of a corporation from being sued.

It surely doesn't. I have been sued a few times AS an officer, once as a major shareholder. The ONLY protection is a bigger, meaner lawyer. You can make arrangements for him/her via liability insurance. The concept is simple, have enough of someone else's money (in this case, an insurance company) on the line, that they handle the situation for you. They will either run off the aggressor OR pay them off ... either way, you keep your toys. My liability protection costs $300/year - much less than the annual filing fees for a Florida corporation or LLC.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 14, 2010 03:50PM

I could quote state law, but this isn't a legal forum and just isn't worth getting into.

For corporations, it is very common for majority shareholders and officers to be sued along with the company.
Jim - if you were a shareholder, guessing that was a corporation. Tom - You mentioned corporation and not LLC.

In many states, LLC members are not liable personally and thus not named in suits against the company. As with anything there are "conditions" and every situation is different.

-----------------
AD

Date: July 14, 2010 04:15PM

Very true, another good reason to ask a good CPA or attorney who deals in corporate law.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 02:02AM

Has anyone actually seen an instance where a home-based rodbuilder (as a business) was sued? I'm curious as to how it could happen.

I studied for months making sure I know how to handle all of my own business affairs, taxes, etc. before taking the plunge. The way I figured, it would be cheaper to pay a lawyer at the time one was needed, if ever. All local, state and federal officials were surprisingly helpful when I had questions.

Steve

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2010 04:04AM

Under todays society who knows what could happen? Every one is so sue happy I`m sure if a rod would break and a piece of graphite flew in the eye it would be worth a good bit of money.

Is it better to pay an attorney thousands to settle a law suit , or a few hundred to an insurance co.?

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2010 04:23PM

Here is another example. We are toying with the idea of a local rod building club. Not affiliated with any other entity. My wife and I both build and sell rods. We would meet at a local fraternal organization. My insurance agent (with a very good and large national firm) says my Lure Company, a small company, which the rod building is a part of, could be liable, if someone ran a rod blank into some else, or if a rod broke. My business ins. would cover. The total cost a year to add this to my other business ins., is about $250.00 per year. I also carry an umbrella liability policy.
There is a lot of variables here. We can see that from the info gathered.
Tom is correct. A person has to contact theirr tax person, accountant, and insurance agent for the correct answer to your own circumstances. This is what everyone has to do, business related.
Too bad we are under some other tax regs. like excise tax rules. As a business, you should be filing these taxes also. It is not hard, but just another hoop to jump through. But once you start to sell your rods, things change.
If you get to the point that you are thinging about doing it as a business, part time, or full time, these are just things you should do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster