I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

power wrapper
Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 03:18PM

After some time rod building I am considering a power wrapper. Are there any visual tutorials or instructions for use available. I have not read that any instructions for use are included with any of the machines;any info is appreciated.....thanks, Gene

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: power wrapper
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2010 03:24PM

I can't imagine that a new rod lathe wouldn't include set-up, safety, & proper use instructions.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2010 04:26PM

I would tend to agree with Raymond. Here is one that is available on the web:
[www.americantackle.us]
and is a sponsor at the left.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 05:38PM

Mel, thanks for the info.,it was interesting.........Gene

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2010 06:29PM

I wrote a very detailed owner's manual for the Renzetti lathe some time back. But I'm not sure they ever put it into use. You could write and ask.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 06:39PM

My Pac Bay RW-XL came with assembly instructions, but no use instructions. However, it isn't very hard to figure out once it is assembled. Run the thread up, start the wrap, step on the pedal and it goes. After that, it is only a matter of changing pulleys on the belt for the dryer motor and adjusting the rod supports for the height of the rod and distance between supports, but those are really simple operations. I imagine that other models and makes could be more complicated, but the RW-XL, for me, was simple enough to not need them.

Oh...sometimes you need to change the black spacers/pads on the chuck for larger or smaller diameter rod blanks/butt caps, etc., but that too is pretty simple.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 07:13PM

Just last Saturday I was at Jann`s and bought a Pac Bay RW-3L wrapper. Assembly was easy enough after I threw out the wing nuts and used square heads nuts. Table assembly is not easy with arthitic thumbs.

It is extremely easy to use after just a little playing with it. The only complaint I have is it should have a stop on the end for the thread carriage. I bumped mine and it went straight to the floor and snapped off one of the two ceramic line guides. A couple of gobs of hot melt glue on the end of the table is now preventing that from happening again. $40.00 + S & H and I can have a new one again.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 07:07AM by Bill Eshelman.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2010 10:53AM

They fixed that issue on the RW-XL, Bill. The only complaint I have with that is the stops won't let you go quite to the end, especially on the chuck end, so if you are wrapping the blank on a split grip rod you have to hand wrap down that low. No biggy though. Also can't quite reach the tip on a 7-1/2 to 8' if it is a one piece.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Date: July 15, 2010 04:21AM

The carriage on mine will allow you to do a split grip. However, I can not do on anything over seven footer. I am going to need a lot of practice before I will be able to wrap the tip.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: July 15, 2010 04:21AM

The carriage on mine will allow you to do a split grip. However, I can not do on anything over seven footer. I am going to need a lot of practice before I will be able to wrap the tip.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2010 09:40PM

Gents,
Buy an extra 4' bed section. I work on 11½' and 12' rods, along with 7½-8' rods,and I couldn't imagine how to work with a shorter bed, especially when the (2) 4' sections give you about 7½' of working length.
Sponsors on left will supply the extra bed.
Good Luck

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster