I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Building List
Posted by: Al Engling (---.dvnp.qwest.net)
Date: July 11, 2010 11:29AM

I am look for someone who might be willing to share their Custom Rod Building form, which would list all componets for building a customers rod. I would like to use this when going after the best prices from vendors so they are all bidding off the same list. Just trying to not have to re-invent the wheel... Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 11:45AM by Al Engling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Building List
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 11, 2010 11:47AM

Bidding????

Most major components are fixed price ... retail and wholesale. Some items aren't so much "negotiable" as they are simply different. One vendor's "Flor Grade Cork" may be cheaper than another vendor's "Super AAAA Cork" - simply because it isn't nearly as high a quality. These things happen when there isn't an objective form of grading.

IMO, you will be MUCH better off by developing relationships and frequenting the vendor that most suits your individual needs. Asking distributors to "bid" on your business is contrary to forming the type of personal bonds that will see you through the industry over the long run. This is a small industry - not quite designed for bid submissions and purchase orders.

BTW, if you are looking to save money ... there are "friendly" ways to do so. 1) Make large orders, these are sometimes subject to volume discounts and you will save on "per item" shipping costs, which will bring down your cost of goods; 2) Watch for specials, they do happen. At times they are advertised on this board, other times on individual vendor websites. You could even inquiry about discontinued or overstocked items when talking to a vendor and; 3) Come to the next ICRBE and bring a trailer. Show specials are hot and heavy. IF one were willing to do so, you could purchase enough to get through the entire year without much else and save a bundle in the process.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2010 12:41PM

Al,

Just for your information, one of the things the dealers I talk to most abhor about the current state of custom rod building, is the "bidding" process where customers no longer bother to use their price lists, but rather submit "bid lists" to the dealers and expect them to spend their valuable time to price out each item and then submit a "bid" to the builder. Several have told me they've just started putting such lists in the trash, not bothering with them at all. Others still play the game but are getting more and more upset with it. It's a tremendous waste of their time when the prices are already listed on their websites.

I would wholeheartedly agree with the advice Jim has given you. I'd establish good relationships with a few dealers and work with them exclusively.

If you still want a form for listing components for a customer's rod, you can find several on the photo page under the Miscellanious category.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2010 02:26PM

Al,
Unhide your email; I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use for maintaining a record of my builds and the costs.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2010 02:38PM

Judging by your comment
“building (A) customers rod”
You are looking at purchasing the components for one rod or client at a time.

If you are seriously expecting the Vendors to get in a bidding contest for that kind of volume, you are trying to reinvent the wheel!

If you were talking hundreds of blanks and thousand of guides, Maybe they’d talk with you. But apart from that what you are hoping to accomplish would be little more then a joke to most.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: July 11, 2010 03:13PM

I think you have received the correct advice above. Tracking costs and determining how to price your work is a very different issue than the product cost bidding. Buy smart, consolidate orders, eliminate shipping costs, especially on the shipping of blanks are where some good savings may be had.
The suppliers will take care of you, depending on your volume. Do you operate as a business, with a retail sales tax permit? Or just build a couple now and then as a hobby?. There is not a lot of margin on a $5.00 reel seat. You will save more on the freight by ordering 2, than the discount.
If you are interested in tracking costs, with a spreadsheet to organize your build info, contact me. I may have something to help you. If you check the suppliers to the left, there are some great deals there. And they are easy to deal with. Or they would not be here. That is for sure!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:00AM

Al, Use WORD PAD or NOTE BOOK, list all 9 guides, tip/top, reel seat, and butt cap . Fax or e-mail to all you expect bids from and wait. Just hope your customer can!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:06AM

let us know how you make out. never herd of bidding on parts before.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:12AM

What's the next step? Having our customers sending out bid requests to a bunch of rod builders? Sounds to me like a "negative economic pursuit!"

I like many above appreciate the relationships I've developed with my suppliers, I get advice, service, quality products and they get my loyalty!

Date: July 13, 2010 10:29PM

Sorry for using the word (BIDDING) I was not looking for vendors to bid on the items I needed, I was just looking for an easy way to list the items needed then to send to vendors to give me their pricing. I believe John Repaci got what I was looking for so I will try to unhide my email address so he can send to me.

Thanks to everyone else for getting back to me, and as you can see this is my first post.... have a great night, Al

Date: July 13, 2010 10:31PM

John, Should be good to go for sending me an email, thanks again for your help...

Date: July 14, 2010 11:02AM

Al,

Their prices are listed on their websites. Most aren't going to have to the time to copy all that down and return it to you. You need to go to the websites and look up the prices yourself.

Date: July 14, 2010 11:06AM

Thanks Tom for your help how do we now close this topic so to not waste other peoples time.

Date: July 14, 2010 01:51PM

Well, if they don't want to read it they aren't forced to. Threads generally wind down on their own and they don't pop back to the top so I don't think it's an issue.

Date: July 14, 2010 02:52PM

Thanks again Tom!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster