I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New rod material/design rumors
Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:13PM

I have heard rumors that a new rod design with new material will be introduced later this year and/or next that is supposed to revolutionize the fishing rod business. Does anyone have any info on this new material which was, I believe, developed by 3M for the space technology, lighter & stronger etc.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rod material/design rumors
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:16PM

"Does anyone have any info on this new material"

Yes

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:36PM

Hello Everyone

Were you answering your own question Bill, or just kibbitzing around?

Yes! (yuk-yuk).

Everyone Take Care.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:39PM

It's not going to revolutionize the fishing rod business but it has shown some promise in making rods a little lighter and a little more durable at the same time.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:45PM

in going with what Tom said, I am going to speculate that this is what Loomis is talking about in regards to replacing the GLX line.

Tom

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:59PM

in going with what Tom said, I am going to speculate that this is what Loomis is talking about in regards to replacing the GLX line.

Tom

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: July 09, 2010 02:25PM

Can anyone provide me a link to information about the underlying 3M technology (not the rod maker or relase date)? Is it carbon nanofibers incorporated into the epoxy resin, or something else?

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 03:26PM

LAMIGLAS. Their blank designer talked to us the attendies at the April seminar.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 03:40PM

With very few exceptions just about every manufacturer I'm aware of is bringing some sort of this product to market in the next 6 months. The great part of this product is it will allow previous materials which weren't usable for rod blanks now usable.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: July 09, 2010 04:18PM

Broad adoption is likely to bring about price competition, which may be helpful to many.

The implication appears to be that the product will be resin-related ("will allow previous materials..." to be used for rod blanks which weren't usable before)

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 06:06PM

I saw a video of a new rod from Hardy. I don't know if this is the same material, the stress it could handle was impressive though. Here is the link to a video of it.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 06:19PM

They’re not Rumors

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2010 07:29PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 06:48PM

Whats a rummer?

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 07:30PM

To my belief, they are already out but it takes a while for the US manufacturers to catch on. I have already built several rods with this new technology and they are great. Strong and light but I do not know the specifics as far as the technical aspects. Just that it involves the use of new improved resins. I have heard the term Nano used and these blanks have been coming out of China and Korea with some Japanese influence with respect to the materials used.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 10, 2010 12:36AM

Check out this post from 5 months ago. But what do I know?

(Richard - I believe you will find a 3M link there)

[rodbuilding.org]

I would imagine there are others things as well. Things that some of us like myself probably know nothing about.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.190.---)
Date: July 10, 2010 02:13AM

Lighter and more durable. Sounds like a win win situation for the blank business. Im sure there will be some debuts at ICAST.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster