I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MICROWAVE Spinning Rod ICAST
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 11:22AM

CASTAWAY Revolutionizes Spinning Rod Performance

CastAway Rod Manufacturing introduced the first production micro guide casting rod at the 2009 ICAST show. This year, while other rod manufacturers are playing catch up and follow-the-leader in producing their own micro guide rods, CastAway is well into the next generation with its performance shattering MICROWAVEâ„¢ series of spinning rods.

Working closely with tackle inventor, visionary and industry legend Doug Hannon, CastAway has developed rods that will cast farther, faster and more accurately than any traditional spinning rods, thanks to the patent-pending MICROWAVEâ„¢ guide system.

Invented by Doug Hannon in conjunction with Wave Spin, and exclusively licensed to CASTAWAY the MICROWAVEâ„¢ guide eliminates the distance robbing slap of the line when it meets the first guide. Typical line-to-guide contact also negatively affects casting accuracy, lure speed and delivery. When fishing a CastAway rod fitted with MICROWAVEâ„¢ guides, the line is pulled through, rather than pushed into, the first guide, whether it is braid, mono, or flouro. The result is a faster, farther and more accurate cast that cannot be matched by any other spinning rod.

The applications of the MICROWAVE™ are endless. From casting a plug from the surf, to skipping a finesse worm under a dock, to tossing a tiny spinner across a trout stream or throwing a wiggle jig across a windy bonefish flat, a CastAway rod with a MICROWAVE™ guide system will do it effortlessly and more accurately. What’s more, because micro guides are so light (up to 85% lighter than ordinary guides), you’ll cast all day with no fatigue.

The CastAway MICROWAVEâ„¢ rods are available in a variety of lengths and actions to meet every back bay and freshwater spinning situation. The new high performance Castaway spinning rods are scheduled to be on retail racks before the first of the year. You can see them at Booth #1928 at ICAST, or we can send a video via your
e-mail address.

Once folks fish a CastAway rod with the new, revolutionary MICROWAVE™ guides… they are not going back!

There is nothing else like it!”

See high speed photographs demonstrating the effectiveness of the MICROWAVEâ„¢ on the next page.

[www.youtube.com]

The MICROWAVE guides will be available from Swampland Tackle. Availability and pricing will be posted on this forum when available.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MICROWAVE Spinning Rod ICAST
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 11:29AM

It sure does look SMOOTH! My question is what it really means for any actual increase in casting distance. I also noticed some of the video is "manually created" for effect. I guess its time to get out the rods and start doing some testing. Where can a person get one of these guides?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 11:38AM

What sizes are the rings on that butt guide ?

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2010 11:59AM

How much improvement you can obtain from anything depends entirely on where you’re starting from. If you’re running low frame, extremely large and heavy ring guides, then the “Microwave” butt guide will no doubt result in a measurable increase in casting distance. However, if you’re already running a well implemented NGC type set up then the same “Microwave” butt guide may not net you any practical distance increase. I’ve been working with this concept for a couple years and have yet to manage any measurable increase. But I’m starting and comparing against a very good guide system from the outset. I will mention that even without any increase in casting distance, the line flow is very smooth and quiet.

If you take a look at the Doug Hannon advertisement for his WaveSpin reel, you’ll note that he claims it offers “Up to a 30% increase in casting distance.” But he doesn’t say what he’s comparing to. I’m sure it’s a fine reel, but I can guarantee you it won’t cast 30% farther than any of my similar sized Quantum spinning reels used on the same rod. It might, however, cast 30% farther than a B&M single gear, direct drive crappie reel. That's probably a pretty extreme comparison, but again, any improvement or increase depends on where you’re starting from and what you’re comparing to. Such claims aren't necessarily false, just vague.

I have no idea what the cost of these guides will be. I don’t imagine it will extremely high so builders should pick one up and do their own tests against the best set up they’re using now. If you can reduce your transition guide sizes, or even eliminate them and move right on to the running guides you may eliminate enough weight to achieve a more responsive rod. What matters most in the weight department, is not the percentage of weight you shave off, but the actual amount of weight removed. Take a quarter ounce off the top half of a normal light freshwater rod and you will definitely see and feel the difference. Take 1/32 ounce off that same rod and you might not be able to notice any difference at all.

The bottom line is that the amount of improvement you’re going to get in any area with any component or system will always depend on where you’re starting from and how good your current system is.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 12:26PM

I'll probably try some when they become available. Yet, I'm a bit of a skeptic. In my experience choking down so quickly added noise and drag, especially with flouro. I also don't see what that concept can contribute to casting accuracy. Not saying it won't work - I just need to see it firsthand.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:34PM

A certain amount of "embellishment": is to be expected with ANY new product or design. In a market as competitive as fishing tackle, marketing is what drives everything. Not to say that these guides aren't good. (I haven't seen a bad Castaway product yet), but a little skepticism never hurt.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:37PM

It's not going to affect accuracy and I think if you try it you will notice some additional smoothness. At least with lighter or more supple lines. What you may not notice is any additional distance. You'll just have to try it and see. Like I said, it depends on where you're at currently.

One other thing I should add, is that I didn't mean to infer that Castaway had made any claims that the MicroWave guide would add a specific amount of distance to your casts. I think they were wise not to do that. My point was only that many marketing claims are somewhat vague on purpose. For instance, RodMaker Magazine subscribers no doubt noticed that the most recent issue contained 50% more pages.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 01:49PM

Chuck wouldn't it be nice if you could use various spinning reel spool sizes and line types, including light weight lures AND FLUOROCARBON LINE, effectively at the distance you need to throw with spinning equipment?

The press release by Castaway was conservative about presenting marketing information that could back them into a corner later by making false claims. Spinning rods are used in many different situations - some require distance and some do not - field testing by professionals has validated that the MICROWAVE Guide system will prove to be beneficial to many who use and build spinning rods.

Swampland will accept email preorders. A listing prioritized by time and date is in place.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

You will be notified prior to shipment, via return email, delivery date and pricing prior to shipment for your final approval and billing instructions..

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 02:47PM

Bill, in my best Minnesota accent I would have to say; "Yup, you betcha". I'll give them a try my friend. No worries - my wife even thinks I am too cynical! The only product I got from you that didn't work was the Cajun Gourmet Hot Sauce. I couldn't get it lit.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 03:42PM

CastAway has developed rods that will cast farther, faster and more accurately than any traditional spinning rods, thanks to the patent-pending MICROWAVEâ„¢ guide system.

Hmmmmmmm. What do they consider a "traditional" spinning rod? A rod with an old fashioned cone of flight system featuring large ring guides all the way out??

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: July 09, 2010 04:01PM

Peter Sprague Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Hmmmmmmm. What do they consider a "traditional"
> spinning rod? A rod with an old fashioned cone of
> flight system featuring large ring guides all the
> way out??

Sadly that would describe the rods that 90% of the fishing public are using today. Like Tom says we already know how to give people drastic improvements over what they are using. I look forward to building with these, maybe I will have to build something special for February……

What I am really looking forward to are the micro transition guides.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 09, 2010 11:17PM

The curiosity has really gotten to me on this. I'll have a little better feeling for this after I talk with them personally at the ICAST show next week.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.190.---)
Date: July 10, 2010 02:09AM

Bill, I plan on casting one of these rods at ICAST next week. That is if I can work my way to the booth and get my hands on it. Wish you were coming.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster