I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod finish repair
Posted by: Clinton Terry (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 08, 2010 02:35PM

I have a couple of rods that have blemishes in the finish. These are not dings or dents, but rather spots in the finish that have either come off, if that is possible, or were just missed when the original finish was applied. Is there a remedy? Short of repainting the rod (it is black), if that is even possible (if so what will stick to the rod), or is this just something one has to live with? Would some high gloss black enamel stick? I would imagine that the enamel would stick to the finish that is there, but the blemishes seem to reveal the underlying graphite/fiberglass. Any thoughts.

Clinton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod finish repair
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2010 03:39PM

Are you talking the BLANK or the Thread Wraps on guides ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 08, 2010 09:25PM

I am referencing the blank.

Clinton

Date: July 09, 2010 06:50AM

If this is a new blank send it back

If this is a painted Black blank and has chips in it the chips will have to be sanded with about 400 grit wet paper then fine sand with a gray pad repaint the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 09, 2010 07:17AM

Thanks for your response. This gets me back to the original concerns. (1) does the whole rod have to be repainted? (2) would spray enamel do or do I need something like fusion paint, I think it is called? Mud Hole sells it. (3) It is just a little chip, and the rod is not new. I was just hoping there was some way to do a smal fix without redoing the whole rod, although taping off everything but the blank might be the way to go.

Clinton

Date: July 09, 2010 07:22AM

If it is just a chip get Auto Touch Up in the small bottles that have a brush in the top and just dot the chip very light, let dry and do it again if needed. Make sure the paint is nice and liquid Shake well....

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 09, 2010 07:40AM

Thanks. At the risk of being dense, this Auto Touch up, are you thinking from an auto parts store?

Clinton

Date: July 09, 2010 07:49AM

Yes. Most will have them but call to make sure. Some thing like Pep Boys Google auto parts - supples

Another thing, when putting on the guides on will any of them cover this chip ? If so just wrap the guide over it.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 09, 2010 08:12AM

Thanks again. No, the guides will not cover it and it would probably look strange if I did something decorative over it. I have some black enamel paint in a spray can that I used one time on my windshield wipe blade arms. I have always wondered whether that would have some form of rod application. You would think that all blacks are the same, but they seem to have different properties...which is probably the result of the surface interaction to which the black is being applied and not the paint itself. In any event, I am not looking to make a big deal out of this. If anything, my primary thought is to protect the rod from weather and to prevent the "clear coat", if that is what it is, from coming off further. If worse got to worse, I have some black fusion paint, which will stick to just about anything.

Clinton

Date: July 09, 2010 08:56AM

If the spot is in between two guides you could gray pad scoff it, spray with the Fusion - I like lacquers cause they dry fast - just covering the spot. Let dry well read the directions on the can.

If the blank is shinny it has a clear. When dry scoff lightly, Mask off in the middle of the guide wraps - Blue Painters tape, then permagloss or LumiSeal. Like spot refinish on a car.

Or scoff the whole blank and clear the whole thing.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 09, 2010 10:52AM

Now we're talking. I have not used either of these products? I have not used either. Is one better than the other? I checked Mud Hole and they seem to come in a botte. Does the bottle have an applicator brush? So, I assume you brush it on and it levels out? There are urethanes, so could one use a polyurethane instead? I have some of this in a spray can. Using the spray can is outrageously expensive because 8090% is overspray. On the other hand, it does make for a nice smooth finish.

A note on Fusion. I found that sometimes it sprays in clumps, if there is such a word. It does stick nicely, but if you get a splotch here and there you have to sand with very fine same paper, I used 600 rated paper, and then cover the entire area (rod) with a polyurethane. I have not had a problem with this approach as yet, but the long-term jury may be out on this technique.

Clinton

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster