I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide loose
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 05, 2010 11:59AM

after i finish wrap, cp, and finish and when it dry and beocome hard and i check it out on guide and notice that guide loose and easy pull out from thread and i wonder do i need to adjust little more tension to tight up guide to seal the guide or should i put somethings to seal guide ?
josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide loose
Posted by: JEREMY FISHER (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 12:12PM

You might try using flex coat guide adhesive. Just make sure they are in the right spot because it will not come off....

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 12:18PM

The guide adhesive is a great tool for holding guides in place on the blank for wrapping, but if the guides move and pull out easily from the wraps, it sounds to me like the wraps are not tight enough. The guide adhesive isn't likely to make up for wrapping with too little thread tension.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 05, 2010 12:44PM

Josh,

Make sure the tunnels under the guide foot get finish in them, and that the finish encapsulates the guide foot. Locking and blocking wraps go a long way to keep the guide foot in place as well.

On one rod, I just put finish on the thread, and didn't fill the tunnels and encapsulate the foot, and had a couple of guides come out pretty easily. It made for a good example of what not to do. By that time I knew better, but wanted to see for myself how much of a difference properly finishing a guide made. I had one of those guides pull out bouncing around in a boat in the back of the truck while we were pond hopping one day, and shoved it back in the wrap where it stayed nicely for the rest of the season, until I had time to rewrap it. I was amazed that it didn't pull out again. I also found a couple loose guides on my second build that didn't have the tunnels filled.

If the rod leaves my shop it gets both locking and blocking wraps. If it is a personal build, it gets at least blocking wraps.

Joe

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 05, 2010 01:27PM

Did you add any chemical to the finish when you were mixing it?

Date: July 05, 2010 01:38PM

i have trying 5 practice on old broke rod, i have been doing all different way and still got guide loose then on 6th right now trying tight up tension and put guide ahdeviser and make mess with it so i wrap it and it's get good seal and tight but will have trying w/o guide adheviser
i just like smooth clean wrap w/o make many bump from guide ahdeviiser..
any idea or another way to make less mess with guide but i was think of cable tie or a rubber band ..

6 practice since..
first practice wrap w/o cp result no life of gold
2nd practice wrap with cp rsult with good look gold and finish coat with acetone result weak
3rd practice wrap with cp with hold up finish w/o brush look nice
4th practice wrap with 4 cp with finish still loose guide
5th prace wrap with ahdevier mess up bump when wrap
6th practice wrap with more tenison tight and adheviser and wrap good but still little bump on side when trying aligment guide straight mess up

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 02:11PM

Are you prepping your guide feet well Try a search here on - guide feet prep - very important.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 05, 2010 03:22PM

i have trying search for guide feet and got no result so any one who know where to find ?
josh

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 04:30PM

Josh,
If your wraps are loose and slipping, you are doing something wrong.
1. Prep your guides - use a sander, a grinder, a file or ?? to thin the end of the guide to a near razor edge to allow the thread to easily climp up the guide.
2. If you don't know how, start using a locking wrap on your guides. Check the library to find how to tie it.
3. Double check the tensions of your thread wrapping. Essentially, the thread should be tight enough so that after finishing the wrap - you can just barely move the guide in a rotary fashion for a final alignment.
If the guide turns easily or if you can slide it up and down the rod, cut it off, tighten your tension and retie.

When you apply finish, make sure that the finish is a fresh mix so that it is nice and thin and can wick into all of the nooks and crannies on the thread, guide and guide foot, and guide foot tunnel.

If you do these things, you will never have an issue with a guide being too loose.

Take care
Roger

Date: July 05, 2010 04:53PM

Roger,
Thanks you for explain about prep, well i have been file a guide end of foot but didnt get good grinder on so might i need to find a more grit on file like medium ? well i have a flat fine file but does it take forever to file to get near to razor ??
josh

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 06:08PM

Guide prep or no guide prep your thread is too loose.

A flat file can shape a guide foot in seconds, it's all I use anymore. You just want a nice smooth transition and taper to the blank.

Also keep the CP on the thread ONLY.

DR

Date: July 05, 2010 06:16PM

i got thru with file guide and take time no hurry and make it to near razor and place on rod with cable tie to hold then wrap it and it went through with guide and tension up more and result now it tight and locked without feel any loose or weak.. pretty good start..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster