I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Additions to RodMaker Magazine
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2010 07:58PM

Two new staff writers have been added to RodMaker Magazine this past month.

C. Boyd Pfeiffer is well known to most any rod builder that has been around sportsfishing or tackle making for more than a few years. Boyd will be taking over some of the historical articles that run in RodMaker each time out. His long term association with the tackle making industry makes him perfect for this task. His insights on the history of our craft should be welcomed by everyone that enjoys this column.

Billy Vivona has become one of the most innovative and prolific thread artists of the modern rod building era. He’s agreed to pen a column in each issue that serves as an extension of his thread art book, “Decorative Thread Art.” Anyone interested in thread art will find this a valuable addition to the magazine. Expect to see full pattern steps with illustrations, some featuring variations of existing patterns and other totally new patterns.

Columns from both should start in either the RodMaker Volume 13 #4 or Volume 13 #5 issues.

The RodMaker circulation typically runs around 15,000 readers for each issue. But these folks don’t remain constant - they come and they go. As such, sometime in the next 30 days (assuming the daily new subscription figures remain constant) RodMaker will receive it’s 100,000th overall subscriber. It’s a milestone that few thought would ever be reached in this craft. I plan to do something for whoever that person turns out to be - probably a free high end rod blank or something similar. More details later.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Additions to RodMaker Magazine
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 01, 2010 09:36PM

Awesome! Looking forward to the articles!

jeremy

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 10:43PM

Congratulations!! It just keeps getting better! I want to see how you incorporate a pair of pink Crocs into the RM Logo.

looking forward to both of their articles

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2010 11:36PM

As always the magazine is heading in a great direction. Just when it I think where can he go from here , Tom pulls a rabbit out of his hat. Boyd has plenty of years in the tackle craft to write about and Billy ,Well lets just say he has a lot to say. Hopefully MJ will help him along a little bit!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 02, 2010 01:00AM

I'll bet we see more rabbits as we go along . This is going to be great, I can't wait.
I got to meet Boyd at the ICRBE. Had a good chat in the break area between shopping sprees. Very knowledgeable about the craft and a super guy.
Billy does have a lot to say,,, but can he put it on paper ??,,, we will find out. Be as tolerant as you can MJ.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 02, 2010 08:14AM

Will anyone be spell checking hte articles that Billy writes?

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 02, 2010 11:10AM

kevin knox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will anyone be spell checking hte articles that
> Billy writes?

His deadline is just a little earlier. lol

Congratulations Gentlemen.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 02, 2010 06:32PM

kevin knox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will anyone be spell checking hte articles that
> Billy writes? Does anybody spellcheck teh things you type LOL

Congrats to both

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 06:32PM by Bill Havens.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2010 06:33PM

"....when I start teh Spider wrap I first find teh proper spacing 4 teh blankz taper. Teh this i criticul." .............LOL!!! Good luck and congrats Billy. Be sure to be yourself.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 02, 2010 07:34PM

The readership of Rodmaker Magazine will be rewarded reading articles submitted by the new staff writers. The editor will be the first exposed to their rodbuilding/fishing tackle expertise and literary skills. Boyd Pfeiffer's punctuation skills and his use of the "colon" will not require any "editorial" clean up before going to press. MJ, I totally agree that the "chosen one's" submittals be presented in his Brooklynese dialect" typos and all! Billy V's colon use is another matter - what you see is what the you get!

I look forward to the new stuff!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.75.48.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 03, 2010 12:08AM

Yet another avenue for Billy to talk?? Do we really need this? Do we really want this? LOL... Seriously, looking forward to it!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2010 02:20AM

Billy,

I really enjoy your sense of humor and always coming out and saying what is on your mind with some of the post here on the forum. I hope you bring this with you.

I applaud Tom for taking this step by picking two of the best!

Good Luck to all!!!!!!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 03, 2010 07:53AM

Bill,
I do NOT think it is AT ALL appropriate using this forum to discuss how Billy uses his colon. :)

It's 2010, if Billy chooses to use his colon in a particular way, thats his choice.

I guess don't ask, don't tell should be the way for this forum also!

Can't we all just get along???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 08:11AM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 03, 2010 07:38PM

Thank you to everyone, thanks to TOm for plopping this opportunity into my lap. I look forward to this column and I will hopefully expand on the info in Dec WRaps using my knowldge and experiance wrapping certain patterns. IT should be an informative column, and a lot of fun for me to put together. Congrats to Boyd as well, shoudl be fun reading his column as well and I can't wait to see what he has to say.

Posted by: Paul Apostolides (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 03, 2010 08:53PM

Two great additions that I'm looking forward to.
Congrats Billy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster