I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help, looking for Sage 14'3" blank
Posted by: Damien O'Brien (109.77.48.---)
Date: June 30, 2010 01:28PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum and hope that someone can give me some help. I fish for salmon here in Ireland and I've decided to bite the bullet and build my first rod. I'm looking for advice on where to purchase a Sage Zaxis 14'3" blank as cheap as possible. I have been unable to locate a blank here and in the UK they are looking for crazy money, hence looking to purchase from the USA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Damien.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help, looking for Sage 14'3" blank
Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 08:57AM

I'll tell you where you can find one IF you give me your Lucky Charms!! :) Just Kidding Damien. If you look on the left side of this forum you will see all of the sponsors. I don't know which specific sponsor is going to sell that particular Sage blank, but if they were criminals or unethical, then they wouldn't be allowed to be sponsors of this forum. I've heard nothing but good things from all of them. Just click on their links as you get time and see what they have in stock. Good luck!

Justin

Posted by: Damien O'Brien (109.77.48.---)
Date: July 01, 2010 10:07AM

Thanks for the reply Justin, I'll have a look at the weekend.

Damien.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 01, 2010 10:34AM

Sage has agreements with all their dealers that set the minimum price for a Sage blank. @#$%&, Angler's Workshop, Mudhole and I'm sure others handle international orders all the time.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 10:46AM

Damien -- Spencer has nailed the situation. We will be glad to work with you, as we ship International orders every day. We do carry the full line of Sage blanks. If I am not mistaken, the model number of the blank you are speaking of is - 9143-4 ZX.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Damien O'Brien (109.76.40.---)
Date: July 01, 2010 01:24PM

Bob and Spencer, thanks for your replies. Bob, that is correct , what sort of price would it be for the blank including postage to Ireland?The cheapest I have managed to find is $429 including fore and aft cork handle, struble reel seat and fuji strippers and eyes. I'm still undecided about this blank as I've only cast one of these rods once and conditions were not ideal at the time, but I am meeting up with a fishing buddy next month who owns one of these rods and intend to have my mind made up by the end of the day. Thanks again for the help, as I said I've never built a rod before so I will definately be looking for items such as rod wrapper, epoxy etc.etc.........

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 01, 2010 01:31PM

Does it - have - to be a Sage ?? A lot of other blanks available at better prices ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 01:54PM

Damien -- That is a very good price for the package deal. The blank alone sells for $423.00.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: July 01, 2010 02:00PM

Yes Bob, I thought it seemed to be a good price as well, but in these difficult financial times, it pays to shop around, cheapest is not always best!
I'm going to have a good look at your site in the next few days as I need to know what I will need for a build. Although the package comes with a grip, I would prefer to make my own with some burl highlights etc and custom other items also.

Date: July 01, 2010 02:09PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it - have - to be a Sage ?? A lot of other
> blanks available at better prices ??

Hi Bill, the problem that I have is that here in Ireland the blanks are generally brought in from the US, Canada or the Uk, Normally it is either Loomis or Sage and 99% of the time it is for a fly rod, although I am waiting on a 12' 3 piece Harrison blank from the UK for bait fishing, to be honest I do not know the build quality of most of the other blanks you are talking about as we just do not have them here. Is it possible to get another make of blank in the size that I need which is approx 13.5 to 14.5 ft? It would be great if you could recommend some other makes that may be cheaper but the size is important. Thanks.

Date: July 01, 2010 02:27PM

How much technology can be put into a graphite blank ??

have you checked out any of the suppliers on the left ??

I have also read of certain High End companies that there finish washes off with Alcohol ?? Quality I don't think so !! And these were about 3-400.00 a blank

Then tell me why Mud Holes MHX and Swantlands blanks are well liked but Bass Fisherman. And they are the toughest people to please.

I got a bridge I can sell ya

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 02:38PM by bill boettcher.

Date: July 01, 2010 03:53PM

Bill, a bridge? what size?

Damien.

Date: July 02, 2010 11:13AM

Very large

That blank try here : [www.meiserflyrods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 02, 2010 11:44AM

Bill, you have given me a BIG problem! I've looked at the above website and those rods look amazing. Build or buy?!!!! I don't know if I could ever build a rod like those. They offer the exact sizes that I am interested in and more. I am going to have to have a good think about this.

Date: July 02, 2010 01:52PM

They also have kits to build and Ready to wrap with all on just need to wrap the guides.

Prices seemed a lot nicer.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Damien O'Brien (109.76.39.---)
Date: July 03, 2010 04:10PM

Bill, thats for sure, and I really like the mixture of the cork and ruberised cork in the grip. I presume as you recommend them, you also rate them highly.
Its a pity that I do not have access to them here to try them out before purchase, I'll have a proper look at their site tonight over a cold pint of Guinness! I think Sage might be given a miss this time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster