I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ordered some micro guides, they have a weird edge on them...
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 11:04AM

On the side facing away from the foot of the guide, there's excess metal that forms an edge...it almost seems like if you had the rod fully loaded, it would rub on the line...
Does anyone have experience with this type of guide (they are size 4 micros)? Should I get a different brand? I got these cheap...I guess you get what you pay for...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ordered some micro guides, they have a weird edge on them...
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 11:15AM

What brand?

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 11:17AM

I have not seen anything like that with the guides I have purchased, you might want to post a picture of it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2010 12:30PM

Are these ceramic or hard chrome? I think I know what you're talking about and no, the line will never rub that edge. The angle required would be almost impossible unless you're using just 2 or 3 guides on the rod.

Posted by: Tom Bittick (---.wcht.ks.pixius.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 12:38PM

Sounds like when the frame got punched it never got deburred and likely the tooling was dull.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 01:15PM

Ken,
What you have are single flanged guides.

I had a couple sets of these single flanged guides and I had customer complaints about the line being frayed and lost fish.
As a result I had the rod returned, and replace the guides from the same manufacturer in the model that had the double flanges on them.

I do think it would be a good idea to return the guides and get a set of double flanged guides.

Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2010 06:57PM

Having any sharp edges around where fishing line rides just makes no sense to me at all.

Minima 3's?

DR

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 01, 2010 10:09PM

I'm with you DR...

Ken - What brand micros were you using?

Roger - Same for you - What brand micros were you using?

Until we know that or see a picture... we'll be lost trying to figure out anything about this.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 01:20PM

I have ordered some also, they are so small, how would you wrap an guide foot so small? any suggestions?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 02:27PM

ORDER FROM ANY OF THE SUPPLIERS ON THE LEFT

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 05, 2010 06:13PM

Lorenzo....

Here is a pic of my set up for adjusting and holding micro guides for placement and wrapping. What you see is a stainless steel thread burnishing/packing tool, a roll of 1/8" tubing that is similar to surgical tubing, and some of the tubing cut with scissors into little rubber bands lying on the penny. The thread tool has a 3mm batson micro guide being held onto it with one of the rubber bands doubled over. Use the tool to double over the bands to make them tight and slide the rubber band off the tool and directly onto the rod blank tip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster