I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light Flippin' Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Pete King (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 10:25AM

Hi Everyone,

I had the unthinkable happen while fishing last weekend...I lost my Dobyns 764 light flipping rod (and a Zillion reel) over the side of the boat. I need to replace the rod, and I'm thinking of attempting to build one instead of buy. My first question is, can I build a rod equivalent or better than the Dobyns I lost for the same or less cost as the Dobyns at $239? Second, I'm looking at the FS904-MHX blank to make the replacement. Light flipping, pitching, frogs, and jigging are the purposes for the rod. I realize one rod isn't the best for all these applications, but I have to start somewhere! If I make the tools/accessories purchases I can build more at an incrementally less cost. Can any of you give me suggestions/recommendations as to what to use for this rod or if this is even a practical plan?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light Flippin' Rod Suggestions
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 10:38AM

That would be a good choice. Also, check with Lance at Swampland about his Castaway BB1 Big Show blank. It was designed exactly for what you want to do. I believe it is the most popular blank he sells and the most popular rod he builds.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 11:04AM

I vote for the XP3 BB1 also. My guys love them.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 11:19AM

Pete your unfortunate accident may have been an OMEN!

When this post of your runs its full course you will end up with a high performance bass rod that will put the one that was "deep sixed" to shame.

And you will end up a custom builder!

Please take the time to use the Contact Us link for a personal contact.

A pitching rod and a flipping stick can be built on that same blank - requires a few subtle changes for the one you prefer most.

A little curious - how do you distiguish the difference between flipping and pitching?

A build using micro guides will provide you with the very best rod you can obtain for either.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 03:25PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 11:26AM

If it's the same Pete King from NY that I know... he already has a couple high performance micro rods matched up with Pixies...
Drop me an email if you need some help.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 11:26AM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 11:52AM

Jay Hunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I vote for the XP3 BB1 also. My guys love them.

+1 for the BB1. I built one 7'3" for frogging but I've used it more for pitchin' Brush Hogs, etc. I finishing my second one tonight.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 12:12PM

I have built on both the MHX and the BB1, they are both nice blanks, but I like the BB1 a lot better, you wont find a lighter flipping blank anywhere.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 01:14PM

1.) Welcome to the addiction

2.) you are probably going to deep six the rest of your factory wraps when you start building. Next time take the reels off first. It will cut down on your replacement costs.

3.) Remember to take time off from building to fish.....

4.) Good luck in your building endevour, check out the FAQ button on the top of this page, it will help alot with some of your questions.

Mike

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 03:25PM

Peter;
It will be quite easy to build a rod better then the Dobyns.
Listen to the advices of your first six replies and you can count me as number 7 in agreement with them.

Posted by: Pete King (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2010 10:02PM

Thanks for all your replies! I will take a look at the BB1 blank, as well as read all I can find on rod-building. Alex, yep, its me. I've been thinking about giving you a shout to get you to build one for me, then I got to thinking about building one myself...or at least attempting it. :-) The two you built for me are perfect for what I wanted! They've both caught a good number of fish, and paired with the pixies, you can cast all day! Now if I'd have lost one of them, you would have heard me screaming all the way from NY! I might pick your brain on this whole build thing.

One more question for the forum...does it make sense to purchase a beginner accessory/tool kit from a place like Mudhole, or am I better off piecing the required tools together myself?

Thanks!

Pete

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.190.---)
Date: July 01, 2010 06:47PM

I think you will like the tip on the Castaway BB1 better than the 904. Especially if your pitching or skipping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster