I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod blank suggestions
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 05:13PM

I am just getting interested in surf fishing for stripers here in California, Been throwing spooks , 5" fishtraps with 1/2 to 1 ounce jig head, and 2 ounce cotton cordells with a heavy salmon spinning rod I had. I have only wrapped fly rods so far but I want to build my own spinning rod. Would the Lamiglass ISU 108 2M 9' 2pc be a good choice? I'm not interested in lead and bait. Gonna have to study up on what type of grip to do, too.
Thanks,
Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod blank suggestions
Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2010 05:36PM

Greg -- Lamiglas is one of the most trusted names in the surf blank business. The ISU 108 2M is a very good all-around choice. You will never go wrong with a Lami surf blank. If I can be of any help assisting you with guide or handle choices, feel free to contact me.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.lightspeed.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 08:29PM

Hello Greg-

Man, this is exactly why you get into building rods. In my opinion, specialized rods - like a particular surf rod for a particular application - are some of the most fun to work up and build. Surf rods are different animals and can challenge you in different ways. As you mention above, handle construction is different, you need MUCH bigger reamers, If you are like me you don't have the reels the typical surf caster is going to use on hand in your shop, etc. But these rods are tons of fun and an area where you can really get GREAT performance out of a rod if you do your homework and put in the time.

To me, this is a type of rod where breaking with tradition can yield dramatic performance improvement. Go slow, test everything twice, don't be afraid to experiment, and it will blow your mind how great a rod you can build your very first time.

I echo Bob's sentiments that the Lami blanks are tops in the surf. I have also had very good luck with St. Croix and Rainshadow blanks, although I think I was building heavier rods than what you are talking about.

But the single most important piece of information anyone can share with you is that Rodmaker Magazine Volume 7 #1 is THE definitive source on all things surf rod building. If you will get that back issue and read it thoroughly, you will be in great shape. I really can't recommend it enough. That issue alone is worth a 3-year subscription. Highly recommended. Too bad I had already made a bunch of mistakes on a bunch of rods before it came out...

Good luck and let us know how you do. Post some pics when you are done!

Bill

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 09:47PM

Rainshadow has one I am considering, too. RX7 SUR1023F . I have been using an Okuma Epixor 80 series reel with 12# line that I will use to lay out the guides. Thanks, Bill, for the enthusiasm and for pointing out a good reference for building a new surf rod. My collection doesn't go back that far, I just ordered it!

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 10:01PM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: Clyde Hunt (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 09:11AM

Pretty hard to choose without casting each rod. You're working in an area where a 1/4 oz. either way can make or break a particular blank. The Lamiglass GSB108-1L is very popular for throwing those weights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 06:19AM by Clyde Hunt.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: June 29, 2010 11:12AM

Greg,
We have just taken on a new line of Surf Blanks that are destined to take the industry by storm. They were developed by a gentleman named Tommy Farmer who is a long distance casting champion in North America and has placed 3rd in the world.

Tommy took his knowledge of Casting and Fishing here in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and developed a full line of Surf Blanks.

The Blank that would work perfect for you would be the 10' 1-4oz, this blank was designed to do just what you are asking in a blank, it is also a very high end blank but not the high end price. You will not be disappointed in this blank at all.
Thanks
Scott Parsons

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: June 29, 2010 01:57PM

I will look into it, Scott. I am trying to stick to a 9 foot 2 piece that I can lock in my work truck so I can run down to the beach after work if I see the birds working. Target is stripers in the 5 maybe up to 20 pound range.

Greg

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: June 30, 2010 12:23PM

Greg,

Would a 4 piece 10' surf rod be of interest? Lamiglas GSB 120 4M. They are lightweight and have a very good action.

I did set up a web page to make it easier to browse through blanks.
On the page, select blanks. The headings are sort selections.
Sadly, I have not had time to keep the page up to date.

[www.donstacklehawaii.com]

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Mike Dimino (---.sub-75-239-61.myvzw.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 09:56AM

HELLO GREG, BEING A SURF GUY MYSELF THE BLANKS I WOULD RECOMEND WOULD DEFINETLY BE LAMIGLAS OR SEEKER I AM A BIG FAN OF THE GSB SURF/ BAR SERIES SOUNDS LIKE THEY WOULD FIT YOUR NEEDS WELL. I WOULD SEE IF YOU CAN GET A FEEL .I USSUALLY USE A 1 PIECE MYSELF BUT BOTH THE 2 PIECE ALSO FEEL NICE. I HAVE A 1081L,1081M,1201M,AND A1321M AND I ALSO SEE A 1201L IN MY FUTURE AS YOU CAN SEE I TOLD YOU I LIKED THIS SERIES. I THINK THE LAMIGLAS IS GOING TO BE BETTER FOR YOU THAN THE SEEKER ONLY BECAUSE I AM NOT TO SURE OF THERE 2 PIECE SELECTIONS.IF YOU DO HAVE ANY SEEKER QUESTIONS THEN BILLY V IS YOUR MAN, AND HE CAN BE A TREMENDOUS HELP. I HOPE THIS INFO CAN HELP YOU. GOOD LUCK.

Posted by: Mike Dimino (---.sub-75-239-61.myvzw.com)
Date: July 01, 2010 10:02AM

GREG ONE MORE THING DONT CUT YOUSELF SHORT WHY 20LBERS THINK 50'S INSTEAD ALWAYS KEEPS YOU WORKIN THAT WAY.GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES

MIKE

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster