I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod & Blank Recommendation
Posted by: Tony Wilson (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2010 11:40AM

I have a few requests:

1) Drop Shot blank recommendation
2) Big box store Drop Shot rod recommendation
3) Senko blank recommendation
4) Big box store Senko rod recommendation

I have not owned rods for these techniques, and would like to visit my local big box store to get an initial feel for how they are normally set up. What I found from my first build, Shaky Head technique, is that I placed the reel seat 1"-2" to far up the blank. The added length in the butt section of the rod makes it a little uncomfortable for me to fish with it, and is actually discouraging me to build another rod because I am not 100% happy with it. I believe I could have avoided that by checking out a few big box store rods before building it. Not to copy what they do, but to get an initial ergonomic assessment to guide me before I build mine.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tony Wilson
Cincinnati Ohio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 11:41AM by Tony Wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod & Blank Recommendation
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2010 12:50PM

Tony,

I use the Batson RX8+ S822.5 and S823 for those techniques. Both are extra fast action with soft tips and some power in the butt.

On the shelf, look at the St. Croix 6'9" MLXF and 6'8" MXF offerings.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking shaky head instead of senko. The S823 will work, but the C812 was made specifically for senko fishing.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 12:52PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2010 01:12PM

Batson RX8+S822.5 6'10" Medium X-Fast 6-12 1/8-1/2oz 1.76oz. Satin Black- Drop Shot

Batson RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Satin Black- Senko Special
In my oppinion You'll not find a better blank for either appilcation

Can't help you with the box store stuff

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 27, 2010 03:20PM

Rather than check out the "feel" of a store bought rod, why not just ask Batson's for their recipe? It might be generic, but it is certainly an excellent place to start your build. I build a lot on their blanks and can honestly say that the recipes they offer are pretty much on the mark when using the components suggested.

Posted by: Jon Schrock (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2010 04:19PM

When building longer rods in the 7' range I will add weight to the the inside of the rod blank at the butt. I use led tape when doing this. I feel that balance is more important than weight when fishing with the rod in a vertical position. This will enable you to have a shorter and more comfortable handle. Simply add the reel to the rod and roll the tap up and dry fit it into the end of the blank. When you know how much you need coat the tape with epoxy and put into place. Set the rod in a vertical position till it dries. You can also fix the rod you made by cutting some of the handle off add tape and a new butt cap.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: June 27, 2010 07:49PM

The ergonomic requirements of the handle length for the 3 techniques you listed are pretty much the same. Since you know that your shaky head rod handle is 1.5 inches longer than you prefer, simply build the new rods with handles 1.5 inches shorter and you should be happy. Most of the blank recommendations you get here don’t have a big box store equivalent to compare, but you can still get good info from factory rods on things such as handle length, just hold and wiggle lots of rods until you find one that feels right or match one of your favorite current rods.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 28, 2010 07:57AM

The castaway 842 in xp3 makes a very nice drop shot, split grip plus micros and you can get completed rod down to around 3.5 to 4 ounces depending on finish, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster