I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Blank Help
Posted by: Eric Brown (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 09:59AM

I have a friend who is wanting me to build him a 2 piece, 7' 4wt fly rod. He has fished Sage rods only for a long time. He doesn't have a lot of experience with new Sage offerings and is not "in love" with any of the Sage products of the past few years. His favorite Sage series was the LL (Light Line) and he would like something similar for this build. Said he doesn't want something too fast or too slow. I have very little experience with light fly rods and have no idea what fast or slow of today is compared to a rod made 20 years ago. I did read the Sage ZXL series has a moderate progressive taper. Any suggestions? BTW, this does not have to be a Sage. -Thanks, Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Blank Help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2010 11:17AM

All rods have progressive actions - the greater the load you place on them the farther the flex moves towards the butt of the rod.

The first thing you should do is ascertain exactly what your customer means by "action." Technically it refers to wher the rod initially flexes, but many fishermen use "action" to describe power. You need to make sure you're both on the same page.

If he is truly talking about action, where the rod initially flexes, you can attempt to find or run the AA figures on the LL series and then match it as close as possible with another blank of your choice.

If he's talking about power, you need to find out what his normal casting/fishing range is and select a model that will easily and fully load with the amount of 4-weight line that he normally has out. If you can do that, you'll have a very happy camper. Overall, most fishermen want a rod that's easy to cast. Making sure the weight and length of line he uses will easily load the selected rod is the overriding factor when it comes to him being able to easily cast the rod.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.221.142.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 11:31AM

The Sage "ZXL" is a very good choice if he preferred the feel of the "LL".
Another candidate would be the Winston "WT" very smooth and relaxed casting stroke similar to "LL"
Still another would be the Orvis "ZG" mid flex.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 11:39AM

The Lamiglas Appalachian blanks they recently quit making were 3 piece and they made a 7 ft 3 wt and a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt I think he would be very pleased with. Angler's Workshop or some other dealer may still have a few. Globalflyfisher and other sites have given very good reviews of the finished factory rods and the blanks over the years, my 7 ft 3 wt is every bit as nice as my Sage SPL 3 wt., which is very similar to the LLs, under most situations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 11:45AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2010 11:37AM

Not a blank any of the sponsors sell, but I've developed a liking for Elkhorn Blanks as they are quite similar to the Sage LL series in terms of action (med. to med./fast) and much easier on the wallet. I haven't personally built anything as short as 7', but their 8' and 8.5' - 2 and 3 wt. line series are an absolute joy to fish.

Posted by: tony ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 27, 2010 12:05PM

There are not a lot of choices for premium 2 piece blanks. They seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs. Newer multi-piece (even some 5 piece) rods flex smoothly. Of course the best way to choose the action that is perfect is for the user to cast the rod. The zxl I don't believe is available in 7' 4wt. The txl, is but in three pc. I've cast the 7' 10 inch 3 and 4 wt rods at a show. They were very light in hand, load smooth and easy up close and have enough power in the butt to deliver out to 50' or so without my thinking about it using the sage dt line. Accuracy was right on. Certainly very nice for small streams. I did not cast the 7' model. The color is well...non traditional metalic golden olive.

Posted by: Tom Ciannilli (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 09:49AM

I own a Sage LL., and just built a new TXL (I really love it). The TXL is a lot lighter and a little faster than the LL. Sage makes The VT2, which is very close to the LL series in action and power and a Light Line aficionado would find it to be a great rod. The shortest blanks available are for the VT2 is 7'9" in a 3 & 4wt, I believe, actually the same lengths available in the old LL series. I agree that 2-piece rods are becoming dinosaurs. The VT2 is a 3 piece. I would have my friend cast some rods at a fly shop before you build for him. If not, I promise that the VT2 is the closest thing to a LL you can find.

Posted by: Eric Brown (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 12:23PM

Wow, thanks for all the help guys. I will let you know what we decide on. -Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster