I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides
Posted by: stanford yerger (---.syrcny.btas.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 09:04PM

The other day I went fly fishing with my 8 ft 3 wt. Austin and was over whelmed by
The ease of casting the line. Dismantling the rod I discovered it had snake guides
on not my normal ceramic type. Went home and did some casting with snake,
single foot and ceramic guides with same line. The rod with snakes had me back
in the zone again. I’m probably all wet, wondering if any one has had the same experience??
mega thanks, stan yerger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2010 10:23PM

I would have thought the snake guides would be easy to spot without having to dismantle the rod. Not sure what you mean by that.

I don't find much difference in casting between guide types - they don't make that much difference on the cast. Ceramics are quieter, that's about the only difference I notice.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 24, 2010 11:46PM

I am very intrigued by this post. Please keep us posted on how your 3 wt went from 'normal ceramic type, to snake guides?!?!

Date: June 25, 2010 08:11AM

How well a rod casts a line is dependent on how well that line, and its length past the rod tip, load the rod. Not the type guides it has on it.

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.syrcny.btas.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2010 08:35AM

Steve, my words used was not the best. The rod I used had snakes on.
I build rods as a hobby, so I had one with single foot and one with ceramics.
When I got home I did some casting with all three rod with the same line.
For me it was obvious the line was going through the snake guides with ease!!
I'm sure that for different rods, different casting style the results would be different.
For me it's all about feel, My casting with that rod just FEELS BETTER.
Please don't take my word for it but go out and give it a test.

Sorry for the confusion, stan.

Date: June 25, 2010 08:58AM

Stanford,

The reason is simple - the rod that had the snake guides was being loaded to a greater extent than the rod that had the ceramic guides. It has nothing to do with the guides - if it did, the line would move through the ceramics with even greater ease than the snakes, due to the ceramics being harder and slicker than the surface of the snake guides. But this is of no concern on the cast because there is very little friction present between the line and the guide surfaces as there is no pressure forcing them together.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.221.142.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 11:42AM

No real surprises here.
Snake guides are excellent guides and the only guides I'm aware of that present a bias contact to the direction of the outgoing line. This reduces contact stress and friction as opposed to a guide that contacts perpendicular to the direction of line flow. Similar to driving over speed bumps by approaching at an angle. An added benefit is the increase in fly line life due to the distributed contact patch. The only negative is the weight penalty due to the requirement for the second wrap.
Rod action can still be modified to fit your zone by the addition or subtraction of guides and the placement utilized.

Eugene Moore

Date: June 26, 2010 01:13PM

Fly lines last longer with ceramics. No guessing on that.

You can't change rod action by guide placement or type. You certainly can't make the action slower. And to make it faster would require placing the tiptop and first guide terribly far apart so that the line created a bowstring effect between the tiptop and first guide. Even then, you really haven't made the action any faster - it will still initially flex in the same area it did before you added any guides.

You can change rod response with guide selection, number and placement. That has to do with the mass of the guides and how it's distributed.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.223.116.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 01:29PM

Tom,
Yes fly lines last longer with ceramics due the increase of contact patch with the wider ring reducing the contact stress.
The penalty is the increased weight due to the additional material and as you pointed out the reduction in response or frequency. Wrong choice of terminology on my part..
Response or frequency would have been more appropriate.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: June 26, 2010 01:29PM

I would love to see someone make a slow action rod into a fast action rod by guide type and placement. Or vice versa. The action is created by the taper of the rod shaft. Unless you sand into the blank to change the taper you cannot change the action.

Date: June 26, 2010 01:31PM

Right, the ceramics, in most cases, are also smoother with a much finer surface finish.

I've begun using Minima guides in order to address the weight issue. They make a huge difference. So far, I consider them the best of all worlds, aside from the fact that they're noisy like snakes. But I'm getting use to that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster