I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX blank weights
Posted by: tony ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 01:50PM

I find it difficult to believe the MHX fly rod blank wts advertised on mudhole's website. For instance the 9' 4 pc 10wt is only 1.7oz. The orvis helios is 2.25 and sage z axis 2oz, etc. How does Mudhole's house brand step ahead of the big guys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX blank weights
Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 02:25PM

I'm very curious about this myself. Has anyone out there build on these blanks yet? Would less graphite be lighter (I'm not saying there is)? Maybe the scrim? Not sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 02:28PM by Larry Damore.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2010 02:38PM

Tony/Larry,
sorry for the confusion, the initial weights were taken off of the prototypes before changes were made and the flyer was at the printer before we had the blanks in stock. The actual weight on the F910-4-MHX is 2.20 oz..
As far as coming in within that weight range we do not have the expense in marketing and an unconditional warranty to cover in the initial cost.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2010 02:48PM

Tony,
there is a report on the F910-4-MHX on our Facebook page if you would like to read it and contact the person who did the testing on this model for us.

[www.facebook.com]

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: tony ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 07:33AM

Todd, thanks for the clarification and for the review link. 2.2 oz from 1.7 is 1/2 oz difference or about a 30% increase in weight! That's not the same rod anymore. The review is based on the prototype so I don't think it is valid. I think I'll wait the accurate weights are published on the website before I purchase one.

I'd remove those published weights. I wouldn't want to see someone accuse you guys of false advertising or bait and switch tactics.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 09:29AM

I admit to being compulsive about weighing stuff. I have weighed every MHX blank that I have built on, and every one has weighed more than the advertized weight, I have only been disappointed in what I felt was excessive weight on one blank, but the action was great and the owner liked it enough to immediately want another one.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: June 23, 2010 11:15AM

Could it be that the prototypes were bare and without any paint or clear coat? Maybe the weight difference is due to the paint or clear coat used on the production models. I would expect the weights will be changed to reflect the finished models at some point.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 11:16AM

We are working to correct the published blank weights.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.145.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 05:46PM

Tony,
that is the same rod. It was the prototype made after the changes. I just didn't update the weight in the file. I still have the original.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Scott Redmond (---.kalmbach.com)
Date: June 25, 2010 09:29AM

Are all of the MHX weights that are currently published on your website correct and up to date? I've been eyeing up the S781 spinning blank. For a 6'6" spinning blank 0.5 oz sounds impressively light. Even the St Croix SCV 6' with similar specs is listed at 0.9oz.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2010 09:32AM

Scott -- We are in the process of reviewing all of the blanks and the S781 MHX will be double checked as well.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Larry D. Wilson (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 25, 2010 01:05PM

It is my experience, that in most cases, blanks will almost always weigh slightly more than their published weights. One exception being Phenix blanks. Most of them have actually weighed less that their published weights.
Regarding the MHX blanks, those that were intended to duplicate the Loomis IMX, have weighed almost identical or slightly less. I've built MB843's, MB844's, SB812's and SJ843's.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 25, 2010 01:15PM

Mud Hole makes some good stuff and I am sure they will take care of this. I got Faith

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster