I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Guides On Flippin Rod Win FLW Tournament
Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.190.---)
Date: June 22, 2010 01:34PM

Skipping a jig 15 feet under a dock that's 4 inches above the water is a skill few can do. I built a rod to demo at a NC regional tournament this year to show people that has not yet seen a micro guided rod. It's definitely a wow factor to pitch a jig accurately with 20 pound test line with 3mm guides. As much as the members of the board has been exposed to micro guides the general fishing public is just getting there. With the OEMs adding them at fast pace there's just fisherman that are getting a good look at them now. One of my pro staffers started pitching the rod and has never really wanted to jump on board with micros. I told him to take the rod and give me his opinion on how it fished. The rod is a Castaway BB1 (Big Show) built with split grip(eva) and #3's on top. He pre fished last Friday on High Rock lake, called me and said he was catching good fish on docks but you had to skip the jig as far as possible to get the big bites, he said the rod was unbelievable! It has the perfect tip for skipping a jig, He loved it! Imagine that, all year he wouldn't even pick up a micro rod. Well he called me Saturday and he just won the FLW BFL on High Rock lake. He caught all his fish on the Micro guided Castaway, 22.8 lbs and told me to build 2 more ASAP!

Micro Rods - Still catching them - one at a time! ( Anglers that is)

Mike Thompson
Thompsons Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Guides On Flippin Rod Win FLW Tournament
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 22, 2010 01:58PM

Congrats on the win and more sales!

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2010 01:59PM

I saw, handled, pitched, and played with Mike’s rod at that NC regional tournament weigh-in, also gave his pro staffer a hard time.

Interestingly I broke my last Shikari PSF764 pitching stick during that tournament, and after Bill Stevens Coxing built the replacement on the exact same (BB1) blank with Micro guides, and used it for the first time this past weekend to win a Tournament on Falls Lake NC. having more then double the weight of second place

The fish were not under docks but were so deep I don’t believe the other competitors were feeling the bits like I was with that blank and the Batson Micro guides.

PS: Mike builds a good rod for those of you who have never seen or handled one

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: June 22, 2010 02:21PM

Nice!! I have a few of these and love them. Nice work!

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 22, 2010 02:41PM

Steve,

Do you think that you found a replacement for the Shikari's? I too am on my last Shikari and need find a new replacement.

thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 04:23PM

Congrats Mike Good Show!

It is a Done Deal For The Bassers & De Micro.

Some of the Micro News that will soon hit the top of the table will be mind blowing!

The "M&M Tale of the Micro which is in the archives on this forum is a story that many custom builders will take pride in telling for a long long time. You were there!

Do you remember the first time you ever saw a micro rod up close and personal?

I SURE DO!

Thomas K: Save the last one you have - get the Dual Station Test Board from Backlash - purchase blanks - load the wagon - match em up - chop chop - guess what - you will have what you want.

Date: June 22, 2010 05:38PM

Thomas;
Depends;
If you asking concerning the PFS 764? (This is what I broke) NO!
And I’m not sure any blank ever will.

If you are comparing with the FS 764 it’s pretty close.
At present I would put the BB-1 at the top of the list.

Will have a St Croix on the way soon which may fill the bill for the PFS model, but for now the BB1 is working pretty good.

Bill;
I too remember where the first time I ever saw a Micro up close and personal.
Thank You for talking me into trying that blank!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 05:52PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 12:28AM

Congrats on the win.

Sorry to highjack the thread but what was the PFS764? I know what the FS764 was, just used my last one. Thanks.

Stan

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: June 23, 2010 09:22AM

In Shikari nomenclature I believe that all P blanks were the high modulus SHX versions.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 23, 2010 10:21AM

Mike,

You are correct... that was one HECK of a blank!!!! Really wish someone would listen and make a replacement (MUDHOLE ,CASTAWAY, LAMIGLASS or ST CROIX are you out there listening.)

Mike, good job on the win and hope you have many more!

Thanks, Steve and Bill! I see there is going to be an order to Swampland here soon!!!

Tom

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: June 23, 2010 10:32AM

Micro Guides On Flippin Rod Win FLW Tournament

Just for clarification, the win is credited to the fact that the rod had micro guides on it?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2010 10:57AM

It might be more notable that the fisherman won in spite of the fact that his rod had micro guides on it. Before folks jump to the wrong conclusion, let me explain that statement.

The first thing many think when they see such a rod for the first time is that it can't possibly work well - surely the line won't pass through the tiny guide ring openings, such a rod can't possibly cast well, etc., etc. Therefore, the fact that someone won the tournament using a rod type which many are not ready to concede can actually work very well, is a testament to the fact that they can and do work just fine. It's not so much that the win was due to the rod having micro guides on it, but rather that wins by fishermen using such rods are opening the minds of the folks who previously believed that such rods couldn't possibly perform well enough to actually be of any use in any situation.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 12:54PM

That is just like the Spiral acid wrap or what ever ya want to call it. I still get people looking at them and - How come the guides don't line up -

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 23, 2010 02:25PM

Barry;
To answer your question
No!
The rod with the micro guides aided the blanks ability to perform to the extent required by the fisherman, allowing him to skip baits way under docks with out back lashing on every other cast.

If you have not fished that way it may be hard to understand how reducing the tip area’s weight through the use of Micro guides reduces the blanks reaction time and severity of reaction, which is often the cause of back lashes when skipping like that.

Also the fact that Micro guides reduce a rod’s tip weight, moving balance point further back and thereby increasing bite detections would have aided in his ability to detect bites that other may not have been feeling.

I know for a fact it was part of the reason for the success on falls Lake, especially in a tournament were the fish were biting so lightly that approximately 85% of the field weighed NO fish.

I think it’s worthwhile to note that the rod performed so much better than what the fisherman normally used in that situation with out micro guides. That he ordered two more with them.

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2010 09:57AM

Mike,
Congratulations on the win. Thumbs up.

I have stripped and rebuilt a couple of rods with micros for a side by side comparison and it is unbelievable how it has changed the sensitivity and balance of these rods.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.sonoco.com)
Date: June 24, 2010 01:03PM

I've gotten into using the micros this year for my few customers I build for.
These are everyday guys who are avid fisherman, no pros, tournament guys etc.
The reactions I've had can be summed up in one word...WOW
Lighter, cast farther.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2010 11:49PM

I really like the idea of those micro guides for flippin rods, what do ya think about themon lets say a 7"6; crankbait rod?

Date: June 28, 2010 09:10AM

Lorenzo;
Many have been doing just that for the last couple of years; have set up many 7.6 and 8’ crankbait rods that way with outstanding results.
When it comes to bass rods there is not really any rod they will not work on.

With the exception being that if you intend to pass knots through your guides like if you were using leaders, you will want to stay with a 4mm Micro's or above guides.

Apart from that exception, I've used Micros down to 2 and 1.5mm’s depending on the size line I intend to use.

I noticed you are relatively new to the board. Do yourself a favor and use the search function to go back and research these threads, they will provide a lot of reading and a wealth of knowledge.

Vol 1: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Vol 2: [rodbuilding.org]

Vol 3: [rodbuilding.org]

Vol 4: [rodbuilding.org]

Vol 5: [rodbuilding.org]

There are also a couple of more volumes, but these will get you started

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2010 09:19AM

Thank You , Steve, I will certainly read those vol. I need all teh info. I can get before i start on my first rod. again,Thank you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster