I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Remove Seat and Leave Cork Handle?
Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: June 21, 2010 04:24PM

Has anyone ever removed and replaced a reel seat while leaving the cork handle intact?

This would require removal of the hood epoxied in to the inlet of the cork handle. I have tried heat to remove seats from the blank and have always ended up using a Dremel to cut, so I am wondering if this is even possible.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Remove Seat and Leave Cork Handle?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2010 04:27PM

You can also slice that last ring from the grip and remove it along with the seat. Replace the ring when you install the new seat. This will require just a bit of sanding to blend things back together, but it can be effectively done with just a bit of care.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 05:35PM

Tony the following will seem radical and I'm not suggesting you try it. Consider it food for thought.

In the good old days reel seats were not so great. Despite being heavy chrome plated beasts they broke. Often, even on fairly light fast taper rods, the butt end of the blank was too fat for the biggest seat to fit over it. So if you wanted to do it right you had to take off all the guides. That isn't cheap or easy or fast.

What you could do as an alternative was to cut through the reel seat and blank at a 45 degree angle. Them you would cut off the reel seat as normal. Next you would remove the gimbal and find a suitable piece from an old blank and slide it up inside the bottom section and mark its exit point. Then you would try it in the top section and see if it slide only as far as the mark, trying to match the taper of the original blank with your "repair piece". It took a little work and some sanding but a suitable match could generally be found. The entire repair piece only needed to be a few inches long. Half a foot was fine. A solid fiberglass blank was usually chosen to fashion this piece from.

A savvy guy with a good stock of material and fast set epoxy could have the job done in an hour if all went well.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 21, 2010 06:30PM

Tony,,, I do it all the time with a Dremel. It's not hard to do and you can save all the cork on the grip. Just be careful and don't nick the blank, take your time and look it over often. Totally split the seat lengthwise in two places, opposite each other. Take a flat screw driver, stick it in the cut and pop the two pieces apart. I have done dozens of them and never had a problem. I just finished cutting the seats of a St Croix and a G Loomis . Put new seats and split grip on both of them. Of course these two required cutting off all the cork also. But removing a seat without damaging the grip is not hard to do.
I learned how to do this from Tom K.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 09:13PM

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 10:44PM

Tony,
Last Winter I boiled off about a half dozen nickel silver fly rod reel seats so I could replace the wooden inserts with my own work. The upper hoods were all bonded into the cork handle. In all cases the cork stood up to the boiling water and the hoods came free. In one case the cork got a little flimsy but wasn't too misshapen. I think you'd want to concentrate on pulling the hook straight out of the cork inlet.

I should point out that there is risk of damaging both the cork handle and the rod blank using this process. If the existing reel seat has a wood insert it will be damaged. So, proceed with caution and at your own risk.

Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2010 10:46PM by Jeff Shafer.

Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: June 22, 2010 01:58PM

Thanks to all who replied.

Jay, did you anything special to pull the hood out of the inlet of hte cork handle?

Thank You,

Tony

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 22, 2010 04:41PM

I myself would do it as Tom suggests. And if it comes off with boiling you could even save the seat

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster