I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Pretty"
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2010 11:44AM

Why does a Plane Jane, have to be black ? I consider a Plane Jane rod one that has inexpensive parts - yet not cheep parts. Eva grips, a seat yet with cushioned hoods. The all metal hoods I feel do not hold a reel well. Fore grip maybe depends. Inexpensive guides not cheep, set in the concept fashion. A quick butt wrap and rod info. guides since they have to have thread on any way, color can be used with no CP to give a little color Inexpensive yet with performance and light in weight.

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2010 08:13AM

Pretty or not ,I guess it depends on the person. The thing that got me into rod building is how you can design a rod with nice thread work you cand find on a store bought rod. Some people buy nice clothes drive fancy cars have nice boats, take care of their apperance, why not a nice rod to fish with. If you build to sell it dosent matter you make what the customer wants..

Posted by: Harold Dean (---.client.eng.telusmobility.com)
Date: June 21, 2010 10:27AM

I'm a bling kinda guy myself. I like adding weaves and wraps to builds both for my customers and myself. Your right, it doesn't compute too more fish in the boat, but it sure makes me feel good when I'm fishing with something that looks great. (in my opinion) I feel better about myself and my gear.

Harold

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 10:42AM

The word "pretty" in most cases is used as adjective.

In the world of custom fishing rods what is "pretty" to some may be "pretty bad" to others.

It does require some talent and thought to decide which is best for you.

Some custom rods belong in bank vaults!

Some custom rods belong in museums.

Some custom rods belong hanging on a wall.

Some are displayed by fishermen as status symbols

Some custom rods are used by talented fishermen.

Some custom rods are destroyed by Bubbas.

Many custom rods spend their lifetime hidden in a dark closet.

Carefully consider What You CAN DO -

Do it well!

Then consider F&F, RPD, DPR, Funding, Profit, Medication

Do What You Gotta Do!

Date: June 21, 2010 10:59AM

Many custom rods spend their lifetime hidden in a dark closet.

That's funny

Just depends on what a customer wants or if I decide to show off my work ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 21, 2010 01:29PM

Bill B:

It sure would interesting to see what other rodbuilders thought about their work in a quantative manner.

How about you starting the ball rolling?

If you rated your F&F on a scale of 1 to 10 what would it be?

What are your current allotments for DPR and RPD rods without any reduction in quality?

Date: June 21, 2010 01:48PM

Hay Bill

F&F, fit and finish ??

Allotments for DPR, RPD ??? I only graduated high school LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 21, 2010 02:26PM

Yep on the F&F

DPR - Days Per Rod (Pretty)

RPD - Rods Per Day (Function)

Only anacronym missing at present is CCOP!

Customer Cash In Pocket

This thread may be the start of the new and innovative UCRBRS!

Unniversal Custom Rod Builder Rating System

Date: June 21, 2010 03:43PM

I never said I was the brightest bulb on the tree ???

F&F I would have to give myself a 10 being the best ?? Well maybe a 9. I see some of the work on the photo board. As long as the light shinning on the clear is as straight as an arrow
I never try to rush a rod - hast makes wast. I check then recheck, then glue. Would rather do it right once Then have to do it over Only had one guy that said he did not like the finish on the handle Other then that no bad come backs O yea, one guy in Alaska, told him it was a spiral wrap, showed pictures, he wanted it , then asked why the guides were not lined up - go figure

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 06:33PM

I love the extremes in rod building, there is lots of room at both ends of the spectrum. In 1957 I built Herter's kits, only for myself - they were "pretty" and functional. I spent many years testing and thinking in the 80's and 90's before I started building "ugly" for myself and one Bass Pro. I never intended to build for any others - when I finally did - I did it for fun and a lot of their money. Every new customer said the same thing - I built the ugliest rods they had ever seen! I agreed - no-forgrip, split grips, modified reel seats, spiral wraps, black threads on mostly black blanks - in a word "ugly" to look at - but exactly what they wanted - the best technique specific tools for bass fishing they could get. They still are.

An ugly rod is beautiful to a high level bass pro because it never takes their eyes off the task at hand and can pass for a "prototype" in their highly sponsored boats. "Oh what tangled webs we weave, ". - but they make for great tales of wins and losses.

Date: June 22, 2010 07:28PM

Richard I will bet Gary calls his Plain Jane Ugly Things PRETTY!

I know I would!

Career Winnings: $1,859,942.00
Avg. Per Tournament: $5,705.34
Cash Winnings: $1,407,326.00
Merchandise Bonus: $336,316.00
Cash Bonus: $116,300.00

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster