I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide selection input
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.sonoco.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 10:08AM

Been making a few spinning rods, mostly 6'6" med and med/lt action using the NGC method.
I just want some input:

I've been using a set up of (7) guides, #25, #16, #10 high frame and (4) #6 SF fly guides.
This set up test casts well and has increased casting distances over the standard one guide of each size set-up.

But my question is this... is going from a #6 SF to a #10 High OK?
It just feels like I should have a #8H in there some where.
The #6 to #10 does follow the right line path according to NGC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide selection input
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 10:29AM

I see no problems with that setup at all. If it is casting well, don't worry about what it looks like.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 10:31AM

Steven -- What make and model of guide are you using?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2010 10:35AM

You don't need to use all the different sizes - what would you do if they offered sizes 7 and 9? You don't have a size 13 or 14 between the 16 and 10, do you?

The line path is what's important. If you'll try an 8H in there somewhere, you're apt to find that it actually causes the line path to be less straight. Trust the line path and you'll be fine. It sounds like you're already doing everything perfectly.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.sonoco.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 11:52AM

I use Fuji Alconites, black frames
BYAG I beleive are the high frame and the others are single foot fly rod

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 11:58AM

I've had good success by going with a BYAG 25J - BYAG 16J - BYAG 8LJ and then in to the lower single model BLAG. The 8LJ works better for me than the 10.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 06:04PM

You might also try a 25, 12, and then size 6 running guides. Works very well for me...

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 08:15PM

Steve,

I use the same basic setup using titans -- the only difference is I put a high-frame 6 between the high-frame 10 and the #6 fly guides. Excellent line control.

Bilgee

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 08:21PM

That is why it is wise to have at least one of every size. This way you can try any different combination of them. A cheep set of the frame type you want to use just for guide sizing and spacing. Then you know what sizes to order.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 08:47PM

Steven

I also build 6 1/2 & 7 foot light to medium spinning rods using the NGC method. I also use Fuji Alconite guides. Most of my builds use a BYAG20J, a BYAG12J, and the rest are BLAG6J fly guides. This setup seems to be right on the money for my purposes. I get effortless long smooth casts, and every rod that I have built for friends brings "oohs" and "wows" after they make a few casts. It took a while for me to get used to using fewer sizes of guides, but now I'm flat out 100% sold on this setup!

Rog

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2010 11:07AM

Roger

Next are micro's

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster