I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Strongest most durable casting guides???
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 01:45AM

Hello All,

I am looking for suggestions on the following situation, please.

I am looking for a casting guide with a suitable insert that is extremely strong and durable enough to survive getting banged on the rocks of the surf. The insert has to be hard enough to handle large diameter, heavy braid and able to handle hard fast runs of big fish. These guides are going on a 13 foot surf blank for Ulua fishing.

What guides would you suggest?

Thanks,
Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strongest most durable casting guides???
Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 07:47AM

American tackle has a new line of 4 brace casting guides that I feel are the best on the market for the money.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 17, 2010 08:18AM

If you can find a set of carboloy guides - they'd be your best bet for what you're planning to do. Any ceramic guide is going to be at risk if you "bang" them on rocks.

Not sure if anyone makes or sells the Carboloys guides anymore, but they're about the most bulletproof type you could employ for that type fishing. And you can't groove them with anything.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 09:02AM

Tom is right on the money. You might need to check some of the @#$%& sites...I bought some Mildrum carboloy boat guides there a year ago to repair an old boat rod. Be advised though, a good hard rap on the rocks can still break the frame.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 09:35AM

maybe this will help: [www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 09:35AM

Tom,
I believe Pac Bay now sells Tungsten Carbide guides (CSB and CSBB) for saltwater use.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 11:44AM

Hi Tony,

I love this question! In my biased opinion going to Carbide, Carbaloy, Carmet, or any wire frame guides would be like going back in time and taking the family vacation across the country in a covered wagon. (however folks might like this -depends on the “family“)

Please consider our Virtus Ring Lock guides. There are no better guides for Ulua rods and they will be sure to perform and hold up to that style of fishing. They have already been used for a couple of years with great success and I am told that they will replace every guide of choice for Ulua rods making them the standard. They are totally designed for performance and durabilty. Correct ring sizing with thick rings perfect for heavy lines, braids, knot to knot connections and protection from impact. Here are some of their attributes:

- Quad-Leg design adding structural stability
- Ring Lock frame system eliminating ring loss
- Press-fit frame encapsulating ring and protecting it from impact
- Strong braid proof Nanolite and Duralite rings
- Stripping guide sizes in 25mm or 30mm
- Extremely thick gauge material frame preventing crushing or deformation
- Available in stainless or solid titanium frames

Hope you will consider them. Don from Don’s Tackle who frequents this board can tell you more about them. Good luck with your build.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 01:15PM

Hi Tony,

I'm a little pushed for time and can not answer your question (right now) to the level it deserves.

Darrin is correct regarding the covered wagon era. I did build my last Ulua pole with boat guides in 1980. Those days are gone.

Here's a link to an Ulua centered message board to help you along. I'll try to give you additional insight later.

[www.ulua-fishing.com]

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 17, 2010 03:18PM

Hands down the most durable guides have been the old "foul proof" guides. Little more than a piece of stainless wire rolled into shape. Not much to break. The boat style guides always break at the welds.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 03:42PM

The problem with the old foulproof guides is that they are stainless. Fishing braid near a jetty will inevitably pick up setiment and saw through them over time. Probably the last guide I'd recommend in this case.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 08:48PM

Let me ask a question of all you experts, Just because we have a guide such as Virtus Ring Lock guides with a different and/or better method to hold a CERAMIC ring you eliminate the possibility of cracking the ceramic ring by banging the guide on the rocks like the origionator of this topic asked?
Kerry

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 11:32PM

Hi Kerry,

No, I doubt you could ever completely protect a ceramic ring from breaking whether it be from slamming it into a rock or running it over with a truck (hope he’s not casting from a highway). It’s really his choice and wire frame guides are fine however they too have weak areas such as welds and even a Carbaloy ring can crack. I just wanted to throw another option out there for a “durable” guide.

We tried to consider everything possible to focus on durability prior to introducing the Virtus guides. We feel that a stronger, thicker material for the ring and use of a frame style that is more naturally protective will improve longevity. Long sustained battles, casting huge weight/bait rigs, knot to knot connections etc., and fishing braid or heavy mono is the ideal situation for the Virtus guides and ceramic rings. Many Ulua rods have gone to ceramics for performance and the Virtus guides are the next step in the evolution of line guides for that type of fishing adding durability to performance. The titanium versions would be the ultimate for me and they are gaining popularity in HI as well.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 01:24AM

Darrin

Thank you for answering my toungue in cheek question. I appreciate you stepping up and clearly stating what I believe and how it really is.

Kerry

Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 02:14AM

A big MAHALO (thank you). Thank you for the suggestion. I was hoping for an option besides the wire guides. I have more confidence in something that is strong but lighter. Plus when I saw that you had a LIFETIME GUARANTEE on the VIRTUS ring lock guides, that sold me on trying them out. My friend owns a local tackle shop and can order me the guides. I'm ordering them from him.

Thanks,
Tony

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.178.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 07:57AM

Since you anticipate guides being broken by getting whacked against rocks you should probably steer clear of a graphite blank also. With all the speculation about smashing rings and breaking welds a solid glass blank looks like the right ticket.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: June 18, 2010 02:10PM

Hi Tony,

It looks like you are on the right track. Your concern will need to be to determine the size main line and rub line to be used. 60 to 100# main line and 125 to 300# rub line are common. The guide size may need to pass the associated knots (bimini twist, albright). I'm not sure as to the capabilities of the blank you purchased. So, you will need to size your components appropriately.

Darrin,
I received your samples after my last post. The USPS severely mangled the box. Enclosed were 4 guides, NBRLVL 30 & 40, NBRLVH 30 & 40. Although the frames on the 40s were badly bent, the rings on all 4 guides were in good condition. If the USPS didn't break the rings, well .... Would you consider these to be a replacement for Alconites? Braid friendly?

Phil,
One piece fiberglass rods are still desired on the islands of Kauai and Maui. The Lamiglas L6M is still sought after.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 03:06PM

Stay tuned...there is discussion among some component providers to encourage the design of a thicker ring material. Maybe the same materials we have now, just more of it. The theory is that there will be less friction, or more evenly distributed friction through the ring. Some people have reported that the braided line, and some monos, have actually burned thru when under load from BIG fish, BIG and FAST fish. Hmmmm...I'd like to try one of those fish! Don't know about the science, but it is in the works.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.178.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2010 09:20PM

I doubt a tubular fiberglass rod could stand the rough treatment this rod will apparently face. When welds and silver solder unions can't stand the strain the rod blank should probably be fiberglass - solid fibergass all the way through. It would be a shame to invest the time and money building a rod with bomb-proof guides only to have the rod blank shatter.

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 08:19AM

If you slam a guide against any hard substance, a rock, a boats railing, EXPECT failure. It's common sense. Dont blame the guide.
Darrin did a great job of explaining the 4 brace guide that I was referring to. You would be hard pressed to find a better guide in a casting style frame. As for carboloy, I disagree. It actually is, as Tom said, a very good and durable design. I only use them on wire line rods, but they would be a great boat rod guide as well. Amtack,Batson and Pac bay all have them. Pac Bay has a unique casting frame carboloy as well.

Posted by: Jason Cosby (---.sub-72-100-43.myvzw.com)
Date: June 21, 2010 09:22AM

Nothing is going to be indestructible on the rocks, but, as Tom said, carbaloy guides would be close. I would also consider double foot Mimima's, as there's no ring to break. So far, I have seen no grooving whatsoever on them and there's also no weld to break.

Jason Cosby
Cos Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster