I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carolina rig rod choice
Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.sip.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 12:42AM

I have been looking at various store versions of Carolina rig rods and rods that could be used for C rig and really haven't found one that floats my boat. I would love some help from folks on which blank they like and why. I will say that most of what I have looked at and or used just doesn't seem to have the tip to get the distance out of a cast. I need something to make my Revos scream. I can through small crank baits farther than my existing C rig rod will cast.

I did just build one on a 10$ bargain rod from ICRBE show and I have no clue what the blank was to start with. I did cut about 2.5" off the tip to make it a bit more stout as I was concerned about chunking 1oz of lead plus bait weight. I like it well enough but it was a compromise just to see if I would like it more than my existing C rig rod. Now I want to build another for myself and one for a buddy in the club. I have looked at various blanks until I my eyes have crossed trying to come close to the weight of the blank I just used and can't seem to find one. .

So HELP!! i would prefer longer than 7' but I am flexible on that, and would like to hold the blank cost down to under 100$ if possible.

I fished with a guy this past year in the NC Federation State tournament (22' Ranger was like a battle ship), and he had all custom rods (I think on Batson blanks) one of which was a C-rig rod that he could cast so far it was incredible. I'd fish one side of the cove and he would be fishing the other throwing that dang rod. I wish I could remember who built them for him here in NC somewhere over near Raliegh as I recall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carolina rig rod choice
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 02:23AM

My choice for a C Rig is the Castaway XP3 BB1. I have built a bunch of them for tournament Bass fishermen and they love them. I build them with all Micro's on top. The BB2 is a little stronger. These are a good choice at 7' 6". Check them out at Swampland Tackle. Better yet , give Lance a call. I ordered 2 more BB1's today.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 07:38AM

I use and like my 3C70MHF for Carolina Rigs. It's not as powerful as most folks use for C-rigs, but I use braid for my main line, and I'm not fishing near much cover, so it works well.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 08:51AM

BB1 no contest. With a 1oz Carolina Rig your main problem will be line capacity on a Revo, I use a BPS Extreme, which has about the exact same spool depth and I end up spooling the reel on every cast. The BB1 is also the lightest, most sensitive blank I have found in that power range.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 08:58AM

A Carolina Rig blank is designed with an action that will assist in line take up prior to hook penetration - on purpose. At crunch time "setting the hook on the lead" can cost you fish.

Castaway Carolina Rig XP3 7' is the 845 (Note Not MB 845)

Castaway XP3 7' 6" BB1 For Lure Wt to 1 1/2 oz

Castaway XP3 7' ^" BB2 For Lure Wt to 2 1/2 oz

Both have tips that will allow long range launching.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 17, 2010 12:04PM

This set up makes my Revo scream :)
XBB962 8'0" FAST 1-4oz. 10-20lb. 1 TC 0.56 6.0 2.99 oz $97.91
XBB964 8'0" FAST 1-6oz. 12-25lb. 1 TC 0.58 6.0 3.33 oz $108.73

XBB964 Spiral Wrap Also available XBB962 if you want something a bit lighter
Rainshadow RX8 Back Bounce/Jig/swim bait 3/4-1.5 ounce

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XBB964-TC 8' 1pc. 12-25 Back Bouncing-Titanium Chrome
Butt Cap: EVABC20 EVA Butt Cap 19.8 mm
Rear Grip: WHTS-12 12" Woven Texalium Silver Handle (1.05" OD / .970" ID)
Rear Grip Cover: Not necessary HST1.18 x 39.4-B Heat Shrink Tube X-Flock 1.18" IDx39.4"-Black
Rear Grip Shims: WBBC+WBEC+WHKA x 4 Woven Bushing Butt Cap+Woven Bushing End Cap+Woven Handle Kit Arbor
Reel Seat : AT16-S Aluminum Trigger R/S w/o Cushion-Silver
Fore Grip: BF5-375 Will need to ream to fit 5" Foregrip .375" I.D. EVA-Black
Fore Grip cover: Not necessary HST1.18 x 39.4-B Heat Shrink Tube X-Flock 1.18" IDx39.4"-Black
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS16-S Trim Ring for Spin Seat size 16 Silver
Winding Check: AWCCO443-S Aluminum Winding Check w/cut out .443 I.D. - Silver
Hookeeper: XHKS-S SS316 Hook Keeper Small-Polished
Tip Top: XPZT06F05.5 SS316-Chrome 'P' Top 06 'Z' FLANGED Rg 5.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XLXNZG ALPS SS316-Light XN with polished Zirconium Ring RRD

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XLXNZG06 3" 180 degree
2nd XLXNZG06 6.5" 180 degree
3rd XLXNZG06 10.5" 180 degree
4th XLXNZG06 15" 180 degree
5th XLXNZG06 19.625" 180 degree
6th XLXNZG06 25.625" 180 degree
7th XLXNZG06 32" 180 degree
8th XLXNZG06 38.375" 180 degree
9th XLXNZG06 45.375" 160 degree
10th XLXNZG06 51.375" 90 degree
11th XLXNZG08 58" 20 degree

XBB962 8'0" FAST 1-4oz. 10-20lb. 1 TC 0.56 6.0 2.99 oz $97.91 back bouncing
XBB964 8'0" FAST 1-6oz. 12-25lb. 1 TC 0.58 6.0 3.33 oz $108.73 back bouncing

We also have the following that I used previously IMB944 and Now the brand new XMB944.5...

Rod Blank Model # IMB944 Rainshadow 7'10" Heavy 12-20 great for 1.5-2.5 ounce swim baits and Carolina rigs
Butt cap: HESGFB1.5S/350 New High end composite cork rear
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: HESGRG4.5S/350 New High end composite cork spilt grip system
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTBTG16C-15.0-TC Forecast blank exposed seat trigger seat Textured
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: HEFG3.5S-250 New High end composite cork fore grip
Winding Check: BWC11
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPPCT06R06.0 Alps SS316 PP top Tich plated with Tich plated Zirconium ring
1st guide from tip top XTCLXNCG06 Alps SS316 Light XN RRD tich plated with Tich plated Zirconium ring
2nd guide from tip top XTCLXNCG06
3rd guide from tip top XTCLXNCG06
4th guide from tip top XTCLXNCG07
5th guide from tip top: XTCLXNCG07
6th guide from tip top: XTCLXNCG08
7th guide from tip top: XTCLXNCG10
8th guide from tip top: XTCLXNCG10
9th guide from tip top: XTCLXNCG12

Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 3.5-7.5-12-17-23-30-38-47-57

For Immediate Release

For more information contact:
Karry Batson 360-681-2381 ext 13
Adam Hansen 360-681-2381 ext 11

NEW Rainshadow RX8 bass Rod Blanks

Sequim WA – July 1st, 2010 – one of the fishing industry’s leading blank suppliers, Batson Enterprises, is pleased to announce 4 new models to the extremely popular Rainshadow RX8 bass blank series.
Due to the overwhelming success of the RX8 bass blank series we have added 4 new models to further round out this impressive series. Our RX8’s have been really popular and customers have been asking for more models from us. The new models carry the same features as previous models:
• Proprietary blending and modulus positioning of RX8 & RX7 graphite
• Unbelievable combination of balance, sensitivity and strength
• 10 - 20% lighter than comparable Rainshadow RX7 blanks
• Beautiful Titanium Chrome finish
• Limited lifetime warranty

Model Length Action Lure Line Section Color Butt Tip Blank Wt. MSRP Application
XSB802.75 6'8" X-FAST 3/16-5/8oz. 6-15lb. 1 TC 0.465 .068/5.0 1.53 oz $97.13 Finesse spin / tubes / jig worms
XSB752.75 6'3" X-FAST 1/4-5/8oz. 8-17lb. 1 TC 0.46 .072/5.5 1.43 oz $91.91 Finesse spin / tubes / jig worms / dock skipping
XMB874.5 7'3" FAST 3/8-1 1/8oz. 12-25lb. 1 TC 0.55 .095/6.5 3.13 oz $127.80 Frog - slop rod / heavy jig & pig / plastics with 1/2oz & up weights in heavy cover
XMB944.5 7'10" FAST 3/8-1 1/8oz. 12-25lb. 1 TC 0.55 .095/6.5 3.43 oz $133.38 Flipping/ heavy cover bass / frog - slop rod.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.188.---)
Date: June 17, 2010 12:28PM

Charles, I think you are talking about Chris Talley. He fished that tournament and has a Ranger 522. If so he is on my Pro Staff, and I have built most of his arsenal on Batson blanks. He is a good fisherman and C-rigging is is favorite technique. The blank he was using that tournament was a Batson IMB944 RX7 its 7'10" and using a RevoSX he throws it to the knot.
Shoot me an email Charles and we can discuss the blank options. I can also hook you up with Chris if needed.
I have also built many Castaway BB1's and find them very effective for rigging.

Bill must have had a change in heart about the BB1 for rigging. In High Point this year I was in his booth and told several guys there I was building the BB1 for that purpose and he stated that if somebody liked that rod for c-rigging they didn't know what in the @#$%& they were doing. Then again he may still feel that way , havn't spoke with him in a while.

I myself have used this rod for rigging and Its really a versatile rod for me. As I fish as a co-angler alot this is a multi purpose blank as If my Angler is pitching docks or lay downs with a jig I'm good, or If I'm parred with a angler that's fishing off shore stuff I tie on a rig. Its very sensitive, and has a tip you can skip a jig with perfectly. I haven't found another blank with the tip this one has as of yet. IMHO the BB1 is the best pitchin/skippin jig rod on the market. I have cut it down to different lengths and have built it for many specific tasks. Frog rod, worm dragger,pitchin/flippin,carolina riggin. Most first time customers call back after fishing it and order another.

Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 02:04PM

YES that is who it was! Thanks Mike! It is because of your rods that I started to build rods. And I think you help out the NC State boys don't you. I was with a couple different teams for the College stuff down here in Charlotte. They were drop shotting in 50+ feet with your rods and kicking ....

I absolutely loved what you did for Chris' finesse rods etc. and that C rig rod. The first I built was the CB80MH, then XSB822.5 XMB844... now time for a C rig that gets the job done.

Posted by: Les Stewart (67.197.28.---)
Date: June 17, 2010 04:23PM

Charles, I've got a couple of customers that love their CB80MH c rig rods. I just got a BB1 from Swampland to build and I'll let you know how it works with a c rig.

Posted by: Les Stewart (67.197.28.---)
Date: June 17, 2010 04:36PM

Mike, I replaced a tip top on one of your rods a few months back. You do good work, I was impressed with your neatness with the guide wrap finish. Your rod was like the ones I like to build, all business and not for show. Pretty has never helped me put fish in the livewell.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (67.239.188.---)
Date: June 17, 2010 06:04PM

Les, thanks for the kind words. Not alot of bling on my bass rods, those tournament guys just wont buy it. Weight ( the ugly 6 letter word) is the biggest reason. After all there tools. And who needs a ''pretty tool"'.lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster