I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which blank to order?
Posted by: greg ledbetter (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: June 15, 2010 12:23AM

I am very new to rod building, and have ventured into it because of a lack of a quailty rod available commercially for my needs. I'm sure eventually I will want to build all sorts of rods from surf launchers to bream poles, but for now I'm am looking to build one rod specifically. The rod closest to what I want to copy is a 7' Ugly Tiger Rod, MH, 30-60 line class, 1-8 ozs. It's a very durable composite rod thats not too heavy, and has a sensitive tip. Here is what I'm looking for- 8' rod thats not to heavy with an action as close as possible to the afore mentioned.
**8' 1pc, MH, Mod, 30-60 Line, 1-8 ozs, fast taper, fairly sensitive tip, durable but not heavy.
Throw some suggestion out there, maybe even a couple of different price ranges.
I plan on making 8 of these once the blank is determined, and then 8 more in a slightly lighter class.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which blank to order?
Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 15, 2010 09:33AM

I would recommend the Rainshadow RCLB80M Clear Gloss 8'0" 1 20-50 LB n/a 0.950 7.5 Extra-Fast 10.53 oz. Salt Water Live bait / iron / all purpose / Yellowtail $77.30
This is about as close as i can get to your recommendation. I fish 65 lb braid on this rod and it perform flawlessley.
If you have nay question please feel; free to contact the sales staff at Batson Enterprises.

Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterpries.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 16, 2010 12:40AM

Greg...I'm curious...what will the rod be used for??

Dave

Date: June 16, 2010 01:16AM

The rod will be used almost exclusively for catfishing. I do alot of main lake drifting in the fall between 50 and 80 ft, using 1 to 8 oz weight with huge bait. I use circles almost exclusively so a softer tip is a plus. During the summer I flathead fish with 3-8 oz No Roll sinkers and 3/4 lb bream, those things can be tricky to cast. So in short, the rods will used for big catfish.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 16, 2010 07:18AM

Thr RCLB line mentioned is popular with the catfish guys. If you want to go cheap you could check the gator glass closeouts at mudhole and see if they have anything left. Their gorilla series is their new line and worth a look.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 16, 2010 11:14PM

Thanks, I was curious about the gator glass blanks, but was afraid they would be a bit heavy. I don't mind paying for a quality blank, and the RCLB seems fairly priced. My only concern is if it will handle all that weight (8 oz lead + bait).

Posted by: dave schaub (129.230.244.---)
Date: June 17, 2010 09:36AM

If you have the time, why not get one and build it and try it out. I like to do that myself before I recommend something to someone. I need to know how the blanks work and since
you are going to build 16 rods, testing 1 only makes sense to me. This would also let you get a Gator Glass and see if it really is too heavy. Do each one and test them both.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 17, 2010 03:39PM

Glad I looked back at page 2 posts today as I just had the opportunity to visit Batson Enterprises this morning. Wanted to check out the new 3 piece SWT series of blanks. My original thought was to go with an RCLB for an upcoming Mexico trip so I bent several today. Believe me, you will have no problem with 8 oz. on these blanks. Good actions and great lifting power. I can't find any blank weight for the Gator's but the Rainshadows are pretty darn light given the line ratings for them. Good blanks, great pricing.

Date: June 17, 2010 11:21PM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm gonna order the suggested RCLB and a gator glass as well. Batson Ent really seems like a top notch company and has a heck of a selection.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster