I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UV Resistant THREAD Finish???
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 02:54AM

Hello All,

Sorry about the confusion on the previous post.

I am looking for the most UV resistant THREAD finish that will not yellow and/or crack under extreme exposure to the sun, in your opinion?

Thanks,
Tony Ruffino

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UV Resistant THREAD Finish???
Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: June 10, 2010 08:19AM

Tony, In our opinion ThreadMaster has the best UV inhibitors. It has been on the market for several years and is used by thousands of builders everyday for this very same reason. Please email me directly and I will be glad to give you further information. I would email you but your email is hidden. Thanks
Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 09:29AM

Tony,
There are alternatives to epoxy finishes which do turn darker over time. I agree with Scott that Threadmaster is one of the best if not the best epoxy finish in terms of remaining clear. However, PermaGloss and Lumiseal which are urethane finishes are completely transparent to UV, will never darken, are tougher than epoxy, and remain more flexible than epoxy finishes. The down side is that the urethane finishes are thinner and require three or four coats. Because the urethane finishes are thin similar to water, they can be applied much quicker than an epoxy finish. Buy a bottle from one of the sponsors and give it a try, you might like it. I use them on all of my fly rods.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 09:36AM

I want to throw out something that I know was discussed here a few years back and some epoxy people were involved in that thread. The clearer the finish, the more UV reaches the thread which will light and fade it over time. The more the finish darkens or yellows, the more protection the thread itself receives.

So there is a two edged sword at work when you talk about clear finishes. Permagloss is bound to be the VERY clearest there is and it stays that way forever. But I know from firsthand experience that lighter colored threads used under it will fade even lighter over a few years. That same thread under something like Flexcoat which turns a little darker will NEVER show any obvious fading.

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it!

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2010 08:18PM

Tony Ruffino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello All,
>
> Sorry about the confusion on the previous post.
>
> I am looking for the most UV resistant THREAD
> finish that will not yellow and/or crack under
> extreme exposure to the sun, in your opinion?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Ruffino
You question," I am looking for" is something you will be looking for for a very long time, there just isnt one. A lot of claims yes, but you can count on everything you dont want to see.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster