I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Frog Blank
Posted by: chip gennaro (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 05:49PM

What would be a good blank for a frog rod in the 6'8" to 6'10" range, throwing braid and spro type frogs under and around cypress and willow trees. Need something to make roll cast and skip frogs under limbs and such. It will not be used for open water matts and pads just need something to make accurate cast with up close and personal.

Thanks,
Chip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frog Blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 06:21PM

I would be tempted to use a 6'6" MH and extend it 2-3". Take a look at the St Croix 3C66MHF, great "bang for the buck" IMO.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 06:21PM

Sorry, double post ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 06:57PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2010 06:25PM

The only blank I use for that application, you could trim some off the butt.

But the 7'2" works a little better for working around the trolling motor and for that little extra casting distance that is some times needed, also doubles as a good pitching blank
It’s a good work horse blank with a light enough tip to work the frog and flick Kermit up under stuff

Batson
RX8+C865 7'2" Hvy Fast 12-25 3/8-1 1/4oz 2.52oz. Satin Black
Jig / Slop / Frog

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 07:27PM

Bat son has a new set of blanks that are made for Frog rods Look on their Webb site. I can't remember the numbers
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 10:38PM

Lets talk Frog Rods for bass fishermen.

I do happen to remember the numbers - so do a lot of bass fishnermen who work with toads!

Take a look!

[rodbuilding.org]

I hope some of you who replentished your stock when they finally came in are quite happy - Lance shipped all the back ordered 874s today!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2010 10:44PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: June 08, 2010 10:59PM

I haven’t built one yet, but it seems like a BB1 cut down to 7’3” would be a lot lighter than the 874, I plan to build one soon to take to the Lake Seminole regional. I really love my BB1, it is the best 1oz Carolina Rig rod I have ever used.

Back to the thread topic I bet a CastAway MB845 cut down would be a great rod for what Chip is looking for, that is the stoutest 7 foot blank I have ever used.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 08:18AM

Mike you are on target for modifying the BB series.

These blanks can be worked by trimming with the use of a blank load testing device.

Power transfer on the BB1 modified will result in a faster action rod than the 874.

See comment below on the action difference for the braid rod.

On the 845s -

The 845 is more slightly more powerful than the MB845 -
The subtile differences in line wt and diameters - the blanks are different for a specific reason.

Different hookset techniques by the highly skilled.

Castaway Blank 845 Details
7' Length Line # 12 - 25 Lure Oz. - 3/8 - 1
PWR - H Action - Mod Butt Dia. - 0.590 Tip - 6.0 Wt. Oz. - 2.8

Castaway Blank MB845 Details

Length-7'Line # 12 - 20 Lure Oz. - 1/4 - 1 0z
PWR - H Action - Mod Butt Dia. - 0.547 Tip - 6.0 Wt. Oz. - 2.8

MB845 action and lock up point for Texas Rigs

845 action and lock up point for Carolina Rigs

Your are correct on the BB alteration for frogs - the only real difference being the action of the 874 is more moderate and lower modulus fibers extend furthur back on the blank (Gary Klein action preference) to increase number of big fish that end up in the bottom of the boat.

Rich Forhan if you see this please comment on the blanks actions - may help a lot of guys who tournament fish for the big ones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 09:53AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 01:45AM

I can't speak for all the blanks mentioned - have not used them - but I can say this. There are very few great Flip blanks - for high level anglers. The original was a saltwater blank - S-glass, stiff tip, flexible mid-section. Graphite copies have mostly fallen short for effective Flippin'/Pitchin' . On the other hand there are many blanks that can handle Frogs well - 3/8 to 1 1/2 oz range, 5 power, more active tip than a flip stik, with a stronger butt section - lots of great choices in this area.

Posted by: chip gennaro (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 02:18PM

Thanks guys you have given me a few places to start.

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster