I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil Guides
Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 12:16PM

Is there a guide that has the same type of ring finish as Recoil? Not concerned with the spring action of Recoil.

thanks
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil Guides
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.wpa3.kent.edu)
Date: June 08, 2010 12:30PM

If you aren't concerned about the flexibility of the nickel titanium wire, look at the flexilite guides from Jann's Netcraft.

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Joe

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.178.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2010 12:40PM

Recoil guides do not have a "ring." They are wire guides composed of solid nickel-titanium alloy, which does not take a "set" when bent and does not corrode.

Date: June 08, 2010 12:47PM

Phil I understand what a recoil guide is. I am just looking for something comparable to them.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Date: June 08, 2010 03:03PM

Paul:

Then I suspect the closest thing to Recoil guides would be ordinary, chromed stainless steel wire guides - either single or double foot.

Date: June 08, 2010 03:06PM

I guess so the ones that joe foung on Janns Net Craft seem to fit the bill but i don't have any experiencd whith those guides
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 05:26PM

Paul, you did ask if there was anything comparable and Joe did send you a link to an option to the recoils. Now you need to try them out to see if they will fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Date: June 08, 2010 05:35PM

Lance i agree with that, but they very cheap i hate to try them on a current build
Guys thanks for.your help today
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 06:33PM

Then get the recoils

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 07:01PM

Would the Pac Bay Minima series work? They have stainless rings on stainless frames and are VERY light, durable and a known commodity.

Date: June 08, 2010 07:24PM

Bill i was doing more than trying to learn if there was a good quality sub for recoils. I have already ordered the Recoils. Have you not tried to find alternatives to things you are using. And to be truthful your response was not very good.
I apologize if my questions offend you.
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 10:38PM

Paul,
I had a fellow order recoils for a build.
But just as a backup, I also ordered a set of pac bay sc4 minima chrome guides.

Actually the finish and appearance is not that much different than the recoil.

The cost of the recoils were about $50 and the cost of the Pac Bay minima were about $10.

I have built quite a few rods with the pac bay sc4 minima guides recently and they work very well on a nice build.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 06:15AM

here is another wire guide Just because they are less then recoils does not mean they are cheap
[www.mudhole.com] The hard chrome coating is the hardest material
Also take a look at the American Tackle Titainium frame guides Titan and Ring Lock

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 06:17AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Ben Claxton (---.sip.tys.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 04:54PM

I like the flex-lite guides from Janns. I've used them on a couple of builds, one ultra light, one rod I use for worm fishing for bass and I even used them on a fly rod I built. I plan on using them alot more in the future. As far as longevity, I do not have any data. The guy I built the ultra light for loves his rod. They are quite cheap so I recommend purchasing some and trying them out.

Ben

Date: June 13, 2010 11:29PM

I would not recommend Recoil stripper guides or recoil tip tops, and fresh water anglers won't realize the full benefit of Recoil guides, which is they simply will not corrode in salt water.
I looked in the Mud Hole catalog and there is no way a set of Recoil guides for a fly rod or a casting rod could come to $50. A surf rod maybe, but a one hand spin rod would have to be mighty long to require $50 worth of Recoil guides. Do the math.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster