I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP question
Posted by: Joe Sullivan (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 08:51PM

Re: Madeira Thread
Date: June 07, 2010 08:49PM

Paul,
I found out what "fish eyes" are! Put on 2 coats of Carsons Crystal Clear CP. When I applied the flex coat I saw them start to show up - the finish sort of "separates." Used to putting the first coat on kind of thick at the base, where the longest run of Maderia was and thats where they showed up. Started applying it much thinner on the guides and it seems to have stopped. Went back and thinned off the finish on the longer base wrap. Seems to have worked also. Colors are consistent.

If any fish eyes remain, can I simply apply the next layer of flex coat to fill in or should I put more CP in the fish eyes first, if that makes sense?

Appreciate everyone's help as I am a regular NCP user and a CP newbie. I do like the regular thread as Bill mentioned.

Next time I guess I need 3 coats of CP.

Thanks all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 09:18PM

This is why I do not use that thread Too many problems with fish eyes

How long did you let it dry Over night is good .

Then again why did you use this thread - cause ever one else is ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 09:34PM

I use madeira for the color selection mainly. One coat of CP is all that I have found that is needed, but it must be a heavy coat AND let a minimum of 3-4 hours. I've tried sooner and just gave myself problems. Went to overnight drying on CP or CP in morning, finish at night, and all those problems disapearred.

Date: June 07, 2010 09:40PM

Bill,
Used it because I needed a Burgundy color for a rod Im making. Thats the only reason. Never used it before. I might need to find a different thread if it is this difficult to use, although the color really is nice.

Sean, I coated it once yesterday and then today. 2nd coat had dried for 5 hours when I put the flex coat on. Maybe I should have waited over night as you said.

I have barely any fish eyes now, likely because the first coat of flex coat is so thin. Can I simply coat as normal now, or do I need to do anything further?

Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate it.

Date: June 07, 2010 09:42PM

Two maybe three coats of CP and let it dry over night. Then Finish.

This is a sewing machine thread and has a coating of silicone so it goes though the machine easier.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 09:44PM by bill boettcher.

Date: June 07, 2010 09:51PM

Bill,
Last question - I promise. With the first coat of epoxy on, are you saying I should CP again 2 or 3 times? Seems correct, I just want to be sure. Thanks again!

Joe

Date: June 07, 2010 09:53PM

By the way, I dont think Im using this thread again! HAHAHA

Date: June 07, 2010 10:03PM

No

Just put at least two or three coats of CP maybe an hour apart and then let it dry over night. Then finish You have to cover the silicone so you do not get fish eyes.Three would even be better.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 07, 2010 10:06PM

Got it. Thank you VERY much for your help!!!

Date: June 07, 2010 10:22PM

Try a search of this site there has been a few posts on just this. Different ways of doing it. See what you can find out

But it is also experimenting .

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 07, 2010 10:36PM

The second coat of finish should level everything out. If it does not, wait until it thickens up a bit (an hour or so) and dab some finish in the missing spots. It won't move enough to seperate by then, but should still level out nicely. The first coat often gets ridgy (for lack of a better term), but my 2nd clears it all up and its like glass. I used to worry about it, then tried just going over it again once and see what happened. Never worried about it again after that. If you have a long butt wrap, you may need to sand it smooth and apply a very thin 3rd coat, but other than you should be good to go.

BTW, I use a light build as my first coat, and a high on my second, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but its what works for me.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 03:06AM

I had this exact same problem using Cason color preserver on Madeira thread. I used 3 well-cured coats and still got fisheyes. I believe there may be an incompatibility between these two products.
I have used Cason's with Gudebrod and PacBay with excellent results, but not Madeira.

For Madeira I have had great results with Chromaseal (2 coats) and I ALWAYS us it on this thread.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Date: June 09, 2010 12:31PM

Walt, I should have also mentioned that I use chromaseal or flexcoat CP. I much prefer the Chromaseal although I keep the flexcoat around still.

Date: June 09, 2010 10:59PM

Great info. Thanks all!

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2010 06:50AM

I have used Cason's CP on Nylon, Silk, And Maderia in my weaves and I don't under stand why you are having a problem, but it has been the best CP I've used. He had a rod with one of my weaves on it (Two Sun Fish and a Worm on a Hook) that I sent him to show at his booth at the EXPO and the weave was Madiera and turned out great, matching spool colors and NO Fish eyes. I don't know what else I can say.

Kerry

Date: June 10, 2010 10:06AM

Carson makes two CPs which are you using.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 10, 2010 08:09PM

Which of the Cason's are you using, the water based or the solvent based? I use the solvent-based on Madeira and Metro with absolutely no issues. I have yet to try the water-based product with those threads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster