I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light swimbait rod
Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 12:55PM

I am looking for a blank to cast hollow-belly and smaller swimbaits, with a sweet spot around 3/4-1 ounce. The lures would be things like Sebile magic swimmers, Spro BBZ-1 shads, and 4"-6" rubber swimbaits on a weighted hook. Originally I was going to get a Lamiglas blank from the flipping/swimbait line, but it looks like it was discontinued (the 7'-8" 3/8-1 1/2 oz blank, but forget the number). Now I am looking at the MHX SWB956 blend, but I am not sure if this blank is too heavy to cast the lighter baits. I am looking for a lightweight blank over 7'-6", with closer to 8' being ideal, and a moderate-fast action. Does anyone know if the MHX will work, or do you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light swimbait rod
Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 01:03PM

Andrew -- Take a look at the CB967 Blend. It is closer to the sweet spot range you are looking for in lure weight and is mod-fast - 8 ft. The SW956 Blend may be more rod than you are needing.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 07, 2010 06:14PM

I just fished all weekend throwing 3/4-1 oz swim baits using the new Rainshadow XBB964 and was blown away on how well it performed. If I did not love the rod so much I would send it to you to try out because it fished amazing. I would not fish much more than 2.5 oz with it because i have rods that fish better for that like the SW967 or ISWB904 or ISWB945. The XBB964 is designed to back bounce with in the rivers for salmon but the sweet spot for casting is 3/4-1.5 ounce. I even threw on the new Alps aluminum AT16 seat and the rod still feels amazingly light for the power it has. The XBB964 is a step above what I have seen and felt so far in blank design. Again this is a brand new blank available to the public so most distributors have no idea its in the line up.

XBB964 8'0" FAST 12-25lb. 1 TC 0.58 6.0 3.33 oz $108.73 back bouncing

• Proprietary blend and modulus positioning of RX7 & RX8 Graphite materials
• Great combination of strength, balance, power and sensitivity
• New back bouncing models added
• Beautiful Titanium Chrome finish
• Limited lifetime warranty

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 08, 2010 12:21PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a look at both blanks. Karry do you think the tip would be light enough to fish with treble hooks? I'm not really familar with the characteristics of back bouncing blank.

Date: June 08, 2010 02:56PM

Yes the action of this blank will hold trebles.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.

Date: June 08, 2010 07:16PM

This set up is exactly how I built my rod.

XBB964 Spiral Wrap
Rainshadow RX8 Back Bounce/Jig/swim bait 3/4-1.5 ounce

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XBB964-TC 8' 1pc. 12-25 Back Bouncing-Titanium Chrome
Butt Cap: EVABC20 EVA Butt Cap 19.8 mm
Rear Grip: WHTS-12 12" Woven Texalium Silver Handle (1.05" OD / .970" ID)
Rear Grip Cover: Not necessary HST1.18 x 39.4-B Heat Shrink Tube X-Flock 1.18" IDx39.4"-Black
Rear Grip Shims: WBBC+WBEC+WHKA x 4 Woven Bushing Butt Cap+Woven Bushing End Cap+Woven Handle Kit Arbor
Reel Seat : AT16-S Aluminum Trigger R/S w/o Cushion-Silver
Fore Grip: BF5-375 Will need to ream to fit 5" Foregrip .375" I.D. EVA-Black
Fore Grip cover: Not necessary HST1.18 x 39.4-B Heat Shrink Tube X-Flock 1.18" IDx39.4"-Black
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS16-S Trim Ring for Spin Seat size 16 Silver
Winding Check: AWCCO443-S Aluminum Winding Check w/cut out .443 I.D. - Silver
Hookeeper: XHKS-S SS316 Hook Keeper Small-Polished
Tip Top: XPZT06F05.5 SS316-Chrome 'P' Top 06 'Z' FLANGED Rg 5.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XLXNZG ALPS SS316-Light XN with polished Zirconium Ring RRD

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XLXNZG06 3" 180 degree
2nd XLXNZG06 6.5" 180 degree
3rd XLXNZG06 10.5" 180 degree
4th XLXNZG06 15" 180 degree
5th XLXNZG06 19.625" 180 degree
6th XLXNZG06 25.625" 180 degree
7th XLXNZG06 32" 180 degree
8th XLXNZG06 38.375" 180 degree
9th XLXNZG06 45.375" 160 degree
10th XLXNZG06 51.375" 90 degree
11th XLXNZG08 58" 20 degree

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 09, 2010 02:34PM

Thanks Karry that is almost the exact layout I had in mind except with titanium guides. Any idea when these blanks will be available through distributors or on your website?

Date: June 09, 2010 06:33PM

We will be announcing many new blank models July 1! Just drop your distributor a line and ask them to order the XBB964-TC for you. Even better have them order this entire list and you will be amazed as I was on your first cast :)

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster