I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flea market
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 06, 2010 06:11AM

stopped by tom's place for the flea market set up. unfortunately work kept me from staying very long, looking forward to the next one,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flea market
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2010 08:23AM

Enjoyed the gathering yesterday. Tom demonstrated how to apply finish to guide wrap, talked about rod breakage. I picked up a tip from Steve Gardner on wrapping micro's. Also met and talked to some rod builders. Picked up a Castaway 964 XP3 blank.

Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: June 06, 2010 01:49PM

I had a good time at the flea market yesterday.
Got a couple reel seats,fly rod blank and 2 wood lathes,thanks to Matt Smith...thank you Matt it was
good to finally meet you.
Meet some other rodbuilders also.
Tom has a nice place.Thanks for having me down Tom!

When through Danville on the way home to git some lathe tools.
Lowes,Home Depot,tractor supply and Sears,,nobody had any.
Oh well there always @#$%&.

Thanks guys,
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 06, 2010 02:10PM

we should have worn name tags or something, mike i fish sml all the time we could have swapped some fishing stories.

Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: June 06, 2010 10:31PM

Hey Jim,I wish I hada known.
I have not been to SML much this year.

Sorry Tom,I did not know that I was not to use their name.
By the way that is not a curse word.
mikeb

Home Town,Gretna VA

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2010 02:33AM

I know - we added it to the censor list because some guys were using the forum to advertise their @#$%&. No problem.

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 12:15PM

I also had a great time and it was very nice to meet everybody.

Mike I hope you get some good use from those lathes. I kinda hated to part with them but wasn't using them enough to justify the space in my "shop" and they were more than what I needed anyway. As Tom said, you can do little stuff on a big lathe but not big stuff on a little lathe, but I am more in need of he space right now. I will eventually get a new one with all the whistles and bells...maybe after I hit the lottery...along with a bigger shop.

Thanks again Tom for hosting that. I could have stayed all day chatting, but everybody left and I needed to get home anyway so the timing was good.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2010 06:04PM

I too say thank you Tom , I had a good time and learned some things about rod building and kayaking.
Thanks Chris

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2010 06:55PM

I'm glad folks had a good time. It was pretty informal and there were no planned seminars or demos. Maybe next time we can expand and do more. But we'll wait until the weather cools a bit.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 09, 2010 02:24PM

Hello Everyone

I just got back today,(stopped at my Father's place and then to my Mothers).
Had fun at the flea market and got some good deals and a good bit of education but still need more so if Tom has another one you can bet I'll be there, even if I have to leave early like this time, but I hope to stay longer next time.

Tight Lines and Good Builds.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster