I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tiger wrap - thread size for overwrap question
Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.bfcz1.lon.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 05, 2010 08:25PM

Hi,

I used some C size (black and white) thread for the base but I am curious to know if any one has used size A thread for overwrap, if so, did it come out ok or should I stick with size C for the overwarp for consistency.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 08:46PM by bill jov.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tiger wrap - thread size for overwrap question
Posted by: Matt Ekhaml (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 09:00PM

I'd stick with C unless you're putting a ton of epoxy over the base wrap. Even then, I'd stick with the same diameter thread.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2010 10:05PM

It will still work. You'll just have to experiment to see if it'll give you the results you want. However, do be very careful that your spacing on the top layer is crisp and consistent regardless of what size thread you use.

Date: June 06, 2010 05:03AM

Thanks..

I decided to go with C and it came out Ok. Could have been better but I am still please with using C. Its my first attempt with size C and my 2nd attempt at a tiger wrap. Ive uploaded a pic ( its the red and white tiger wrap.) The photo doesnt do it justice.

Date: June 06, 2010 05:14AM

Thanks..

I decided to go with C and it came out Ok. Could have been better but I am still please with using C. Its my first attempt with size C and my 2nd attempt at a tiger wrap. Ive uploaded a pic ( its the red and white tiger wrap.) The photo doesnt do it justice.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: June 06, 2010 06:05AM

No two will come out the same! You could do another with exactly the same sized thread and it will look totally different. The key is with the distortion or burnishing of the bottom layer.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 06, 2010 07:03PM

I use A for the whole thing. Don't own much of the larger diameter threads. Can't figure how to link a pic but I just put two on the photo page. Tom's right about the packing, even a little difference in the tension or spacing and you can end up with unsightly gaps in the finished product.

Date: June 07, 2010 05:30AM

Grant, what thread colours did you use to get the blue effect on the tiger wrap you uploaded in the gallery. Im wanting to do another rod similar to your colors. I guessing you used a black and white base with a blue overwrap.

I'll try to upload a picture of the one I did. Im having problems uploading a pic at this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 05:32AM by bill jov.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: June 07, 2010 09:56AM

I've used size A for the top layer over a size D bottom often. I DO use a size D as the sacrifice though. Generally the tiger bands come out thinner than if D is used. You can see an example in my gallery (sorry, but I don't know how to make a link here).

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 08, 2010 03:57PM

Unhide your email and we'll talk..

Date: June 10, 2010 05:14AM

Hi Grant Ive unhiden my email address. I still cant work out how to upload photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 05:16AM by Bill Jovanovski.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster