I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nice rod building video
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 08:16PM

On the Discovery channel and the show - best of season 3 - "deadliest catch - was a nice 5 minute video on rod building.
I am guessing that the video was filmed at the St. Croix Plant in Wi. I have been there before and recognized some of the equipment.

In the video, the viewer was taken from the raw carbon fibre to the finished rod.

In particular the method used to paint rods - very similar to the rubber sheet method explained by Tom on other forums was shown.
Also the speed of finish application - very high speed rotating rods - perhaps 150 rpm . and the drying speed of the rods in the big drum dryers - probably about 20 rpm.

If you have a chance, check it out.
A nice job.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nice rod building video
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 10:18PM

I'm a BIG fan of "Deadliest Catch" and can't recall any rodbuilding segments. Hum??

I did see a show on Discovery called "Factory Made" that featured how Thomas & Thomas makes a graphite fly rod though and another show "How It's Made"
did a segment on bamboo fly rods.

G.Loomis did a similar video segment (search UTube or Google) and although I don't remember seeing it I hear St. Croix did one as well.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 11:19PM

It was "Factory Made", I just saw it 5 minutes ago. It looked like St Croix's factory, I recognized the cobalt blue color on the LTB blank.

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 02:35AM

I saw that one, it was Thomas and Thomas, you see it near the end on the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 03:30AM

I just rechecked my recordings.
I belive that the video was actually on "factory made" which was playing just prior to the "deadliest catch.
As Isaiah said, I am pretty sure that it was at the St. croix factory from the color of the blue rods as well as the 75 rod dryer which looked exactly like the one that I saw at the factory.
In any event - a very nice video.

Roger

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 06:47AM

That was a new Factory Made and it was St Croix, I recognized some things in the video from when I went through St Croix a few years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster