I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What a finish!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 07:32PM

I was just finishg up a rush job on a new rod.
I had finished applying the finish and had just moved the rod to my portable one rod dryer.

As I turned to finish up, the dryer tumbled off the edge of the bench, with rods, dryer and finish going everywhere.

I grabbed the rod and put it back on the wrapper and turned my attention to the dryer.
I found that the dryer chuck had come loose in the mishap and I needed to search for a few minutes to find the right tool to tighten the chuck.
After getting the dryer squared away and I turned my attention to the rod. I figured that I had better recheck the guide alignment and sure enough 3 of the 9 guides had been knocked out of alignment.
I realigned the guides (barely able because the finish was getting set up. )
Then, I put the rod back on the dryer, after clamping the dryer motor to the bench as I should have in the first place.
I found that I had gotten spurious finish in spots where I didn't want it, but was able to clean it up with Xylene.
Then, did further checking on the finish. The finish had really cured past the point of being able to do too much with it, but I did manage to heat it a bit to get the blobs thinned out and reflowing on the guides.
After a few minutes, the finish was as good as it would get and I proceeded to mix up another batch to finish off the rod and leave for drying overnight.

In the end, the rod turned out fine, the guides were aligned and the customer happy when he picked it up this afternoon.

What a night.

So close to a finish and end up putting another hour on the rod to clean up a simple little mishap.

Be careful.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What a finish!
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 07:41PM

What finish did you use.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 03, 2010 07:45PM

Bill,
I was using flex coat, but I had made a pretty big batch due to the double footed rods and extened wraps.
I didn't have it spread out on a foil as I sometimes do, so the finish kicked sooner than it normally would.
I suppose that it was about 6 minutes from the time that I had finished mixing to the time when the finish kicked and started setting up.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2010 08:19PM

Wow! Lucky, or just good at it.

Last time something like that happened to me my dryer chuck (the one size fits all rubber-with-a-hole-in-it-that doesn't-really-fit) slipped and instead of turning it just sat there for 2 hours, all running to one side and setting hard. I came back from dinner and had to just razor it off. I have since replaced the chuck.

Good times!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 12:38AM

Try cooler temperatures. I like finishing when it is cool. helps to extend the pot life.

Then again I thin high build finish to make it a light finish and this gets rid of any bubbles and extends the pot life so it flows better. Just me and it works. never did the foil thing.

But reading your post you had a problem and knew what to do to fix it That is a good thing.

I have used these chucks and never had a rod come off : [www.cabelas.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 04, 2010 03:34AM

Bill,
This is what happens when you get in a hurry.
I was in a hurry to get the rod done, so I was using my portable dryer.
I was in a hurry to get the rod done, so I didn't use two batches, or use foil to let the mixture be cooler.
I was in a hurry to get the rod done, so I didn't clamp the dryer to the bench.

Everything happened, because, I was a bit quick on this one.

Really no issues at all before with the chuck, it is just that when the chuck hit the floor after falling off the bench, it caused the chuck nut to loosen a bit.

All that I needed to do was to work about 1 minute slower and all would have been well.

But in the end, the rod came out fine, the guides and finish turned out just fine, and most importantly the client was off to his tournament and his guiding trips for the next few days- all on schedule.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: June 05, 2010 01:06PM

As soon as it starts to get warm I switch from Threadmaster High Build to Threadmaster Lite, for the added pot life.
I'm so dang slow at applying finish it would set up well before I was ready for it to. :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster