I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Easy wipe-off finish??!!
Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2010 04:30PM

Ok so a customer brings me an 8' 2wt Thomas & Thomas (LPS 802) with a patch of bare blank right in front of the factory-lettered area (where it says "Thomas & Thomas") and he wants me to put a feather inlay there to cover up the bare spot. It looked to me like he had sanded it there, for some reason, and I really didn't ask any questions. I thought maybe it had a decal he didn't like?

So I do the feather inlay and I am cleaning up the area just past the feathers where I got some color preserver beyond where I had planned to run the trim bands and finish. I started with water and that was taking awhile, so I break out the denatured alchohol. In 2 gentle wipes I had the CP AND the rod's dark blue finish off down to the bare grey graphite! I mean the finish just wiped right off like it was wet paint!

As far as I can tell, this rod was factory-built and had a very dark blue (almost black) gloss finish on the blank. Just wanted to see if anybody ran into this before, and to warn you not to wipe with de-natured if you run into one. At least now I have some idea of how that bare patch got there. I guess his feather inlay might have to be a little longer than I had planned.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easy wipe-off finish??!!
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2010 07:16PM

he should have sent it back and got another rod.

St Croix had ?? a problem with I think it was flat black.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2010 08:39PM

There have been some finishes out and about lately that don't hold up well to even mild solvents. I guess you found one of them. The St. Croix SCV in the brown finish was another.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 04, 2010 01:00AM

And people pay HOW MUCH for Those blanks Darn shame !!!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2010 11:30AM

It scared me...I will admit it! The first wipe I came away with a blue paper towel, and the 2nd one went all the way to the grey. My hand was shaking! I also said a word or two I can't repeat here.

First thing I did was look to see if someone had re-finished it or something, but as I said, it appears to be a factory rod and the color is the same as any and all pics I could find on the internet.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.250.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 06, 2010 12:33PM

My favorite 9 wt. is one I built on a brown SCV blank. As Tom predicts, the finish has worn away ahead of the grip. I am assuming this amounts to purely cosmetic damage and will not affect the rod's performance or durability. I hope the assumption is justified?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster