I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RX7 guide spacing help
Posted by: Tom Nair (64.62.123.---)
Date: June 01, 2010 05:59PM

I am building a Batson RX7 9ft 7WT and would like to try to get by with nine guides. I need a nine guide spacing plan to use as a starting point. I will be casting short distance and would like only one stripper. Most of the charts on web call for 10 guides and two strippers. Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RX7 guide spacing help
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.81.187.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 06:58PM

Tom,
9 guides plus tip top
guide sizes
(3) #2 Recoil titanium light wire double foot ( snake )
(3) #3 hard chrome double foot (snake )
(2) #4 hard chrome double foot ( snake )
#12 Alox double foot
Guide locations from tip
3.8 8.4 13.9 20.3 28.0 37.2 48.0 61.0 76.4 distance in inches

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 07:08PM

Hi Eugene,
Why three different sizes of snake guides? Why not just one size? What ever you use near the tip top ought to work along the full length of the rod. I used to build my fly rods the way you suggested, but I didn't know why I did it that way except that everybody did it that way. At that time I also built all my spinning rods using the "Cone of Flight" guide size and spacing as well. Today I use the NGC for my spinning rods. Just my 0.02 dollars worth.
Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2010 07:24PM

You will get a straighter and smoother line path, with some minor reduction in weight, by dumping the #3's and #4's and going right to the #2's.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.81.187.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 07:40PM

Mike,
I prefer to use as large a guide as possible but don't want the weight penalty of large guides at the tip. As the guides progresses closer to my hand their moment of inertia decreases allowing the use of larger and heavier guides. The concept of a straight line path on a bent rod escapes me entirely. It looks good on the bench but when the rod is in motion, it's always in a curve. When a fly rod is straight it's doing nothing.
That's the way I build. My build is based on the inertial effects of the guide train and their effect on the response frequency of the blank. Nothing to do with cone of flight whatever that's supposed to mean. I like a rod that swings lightly and responds quickly. This approach gives me these results.
The use of the large guides allow the coil memory of the line to go through guides with less contact so it shoots better.

Eugene Moore

Date: June 01, 2010 08:08PM

Cone of Flight is a spinning rod system.

What both MIke and I were referring to, was the use of the size 4 and 3 guides. If your line and connections will pass through a size 2, then you can move right on down to that size once you're past the stripping guide. The line path is actually straighter if you do.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 09:55PM

Why don't you drop a note to Karry Batson. He'll send you a recipe.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 10:43PM

Thanks for the replies gents. I will have # 2's most of the way up the rod and then #4's and one stripper. I have a custom sage XP that was built for me a few years back but found the rod to be way to fast for my casting style. The good thing about having it built for me is that it got me into rod building. That I will always cherish about the rod. I use it to gage my progress. The guy that built it could make epoxy work for him like a well trained air brusher. The outer epoxy line on the guides are as straight as I have ever seen and the depth of finish is even and perfect without any flaws. I am going to try Eugenes recipe and then static test. If all else will call Kerry.

Posted by: Brian Folz (63.150.69.---)
Date: June 03, 2010 12:46PM

I've often found the recipes found on the RS site call for more guides than I want to use as well. While I'm admittedly not a prolific or expert builder, the old length in feet plus one formula seems to work pretty well for those blanks as well. I must say Eugene has a point about the dynamic flex of a fly rod shooting line, and being conceptually different than a spinning or casting rod,

Brian

Date: June 03, 2010 01:36PM

Fly rod blanks are really no different than casting or spinning blanks. They're all just tubular shafts and the blank has no idea if it's casting a fly line or a bass lure.

It's long been a popular notion among fly rodders that the blanks used for making fly rods are somehow inherently different than spinning or casting rods, but the fact is, they're not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster