I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster Lite window
Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 09:17PM

I typically wait 6 hours between coats of TM Lite, but was wondering if I can wait 24 hours without issues between coats?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster Lite window
Posted by: Chris Carrigan (---.tmodns.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 09:41PM

Wade,
I have gone 24 hours numerous times between coats of finish without any issues. If you go longer than that then lightly scuff the finish without effecting the threads and then recoat with finish. You will be fine.

Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 10:01PM

Sweet. Thanks.

Posted by: John Sams (66.28.139.---)
Date: May 31, 2010 10:04PM

I think yhou have up to three days before you have to scuff anythihg. You can do a search to get that info.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 08:06AM

Why bother scuffing?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2010 08:12AM

24 hours will be no problem. Just apply directly and without concern.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 02:28PM

24 is FINE, do that all the time. No scuff as Billy stated.

DR

Date: June 01, 2010 03:05PM

I mean why bother scuffing at all, regardless of the time? Honest question - an dI know the Manu recommends it. It's common for me to put finish on an UW or Dec WRap, and sometimes weks ++ later I wrap a guide, or a week later put another coat on the Dec WRap.

Date: June 01, 2010 04:10PM

The reason is that when you apply a second application of finish within a certain time period, you end up with a single coat - the two meld into one, sort of. After that time period, however, a second application usually results in two separate coats or layers, one on top of the other. The second one may not always fully adhere to the first, and over time can peel away. Thus, preparing a water-break-free surface on the first layer allows the second one to properly adhere.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 04:47PM

Like Tom says, I would not paint a car with out cleaning it first - then giving it a wet sand , before any additional coats of - any material is applied. It has to adhere - stick. Epoxy fully cures in - what 7 plus days,

I could think that if the finish is thinned with some thing that would - maybe - soften the old finish and help it to ad hear to it.

But how hard is it to scuff If it peals - your bad..

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 01, 2010 06:46PM

TOm, if that is the case shouldn't we be scuffing the blank as well? Or is it because the blank is coated with a non-epoxy urethane or whatever?

Date: June 01, 2010 07:26PM

The epoxy will bond to the thread - that's enough. There is no reason for it to bond to the blank itself. However, if you want to do this, you certainly could, but good luck getting a guide wrap off if you need to replace a guide. The difference between epoxy on an unprepared surface and one where a water-break-free surface is present is night and day.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2010 02:57PM

Depending on how fast the finish epoxy usually sets up can make a difference whether you need to scuff or not (finish on finish here). Fast setting epoxy's like Threadmaster Reg build, I'll scuff after 3+ days. Slower finish like Aftcote you can wait 2 weeks and be fine without scuffing unless you're in a hot area or use heat to cure.

I never scuff the rod blank where thread will be..... and I always scuff the blank where thread WON'T be: decal areas, marbling area's, epoxy ramps, and so on.

I know for a fact that finish applied to a rod blank area that is not cleaned and scuffed WILL eventually FAIL and peel. Tried it myself on my own rod, and it was a brown StCroix that came with "soft" paint way back when. Plain mild Alcohol would take off the brown, but finish eventually delaminated & turned loose from the blank over time.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster