I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly in finish
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 12:02PM

The only fly on my whole street found its way into my butt wrap finish last night. I tried doing a search but came up with no results. I know this has had to happen to someone else, you try to keep your finish area free from dust, chemicals, etc. and a lonely bug lands right on it. Any and all suggestions for a course of action would be appreciated. Thanks gentlemen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly in finish
Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 01:01PM

Kevin,

Let the finish cure and remove the little bugger with a sharp single edged razor blade that has been degreased and then apply another coat of finish.

The modern epoxies are so forgiving, fly isues such as these are easily taken care of. I have had a few myself with the smallest of insects that creep into the cracks and crevaces of my shop.

Good luck.

Charlie

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 01:18PM

Don't Worry Be Happy!

Whistle while you work!

Open the door -

Place an opened can of sardines on the work bench near the rod -

Apply another coat of fresh finish -

Hope the Squadron attacks again!

Check this out!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 03:14PM

Do I need to sand down the area first before applying the second coat of finish

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: May 31, 2010 10:22PM

Kevin,

The razor blade, when delicately applied, should be sufficient . . .sanding increases the chance of getting into the thread fibers - then, you think the FLY was bad . . .get an invasion of fuzzies and then you pull your hair out!!

Get the blade, get a good light and progress slowly.

Good luck.

Charlie

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 09:40AM

Got a cat whisker in the butt wrap of the rod for my son this weekend and I just left it. It is appropriate, because he is a Veterinarian!!

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 01:06PM

I had the same thing happen when I built a "fly" rod for my wifes orthodotist. I left both hind legs in the finish and applied a 2nd coat over it. I figured it was a good omen. I wasn't going to, but whne I told him about it he loved it and wanted them kept in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster