I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heat shrink
Posted by: ken khoo (---.056.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: May 29, 2010 10:49PM

I'll be using heat shrink for grip but want to know from those of you who have used it whether you glue the blank or not. If no glue does the tubing grip blank tight enough not to move, esp when you have a good fish on. Also, are there any tips or advise you can give to do the heat shrinking.

ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heat shrink
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2010 08:33AM

Most folks put something under the heat shrink - cord, etc. Remember the heat required to shrink the tubing will thin any adhesive you have under there. Also, heat can quickly and easily damage a rod blank. Just be careful. Most products intended to be shrunk onto the rod blank come with instructions.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2010 11:31AM

I use a lot of heat shrink and I always use an old time shoe makers cement.
The product is called "Barge Cement" and comes in a 2 oz. yellow squeeze tube.
It is manufactured by Quabaug Corporation from North Brookfield, MA.
The heat really helps the glue flow and I never have any lumps under the wrap.
Also, I've never had a grip spin or break free using the Barge Cement.
Hope this helps.......Jon

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.devivoenterprises.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 11:25AM

Jon, thanks for the suggestions....what do you trim the edges of the shrink tubing with? I did one grip with it and had a heck of a time getting clean edges where I wanted them.....

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: May 31, 2010 12:29PM

I like to use carpet tape under my shrink wrap. It give is a cushy feeling and doesn't let the shrink wrap move.

The hardest part is getting the shrink wrap over the carpet tape with it sticking to it and twisting.

Posted by: Richard Cake (---.plus.com)
Date: July 06, 2010 03:12AM

I never use any glue under the shrink wrap, never had any problems.

I use it on saltwater rods and on carp rods. Most good quality shrink tube will shrink to 50% of its size. I use a hairdryer to apply the heat and start from the top of the area I'm working on and work back down towards the bottom of the butt if on a beach rod. A harp craft knife and metal rule will normally give a clean staright cut, but as you heat it you can adjust it and move it slightly to the edge of the arae you are heating it against (reel seat, etc).
Normally do a small wrap to finish off up to the edge of the shrink wrap, then resin over for a very clean finish. You can do the same over the top of the shrink wrap to meet up with the butt cap on the bottom of the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster