I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with old lathe tailstock
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 10:37AM

I just received an old lathe from my wife's grandfather. It's a mid-60's Dunlap made by Sears and Roebuck. The price was right (free) and it's all I'll ever need for turning grips. I am having trouble with the tailstock mainly because I'm not sure how it's made. I'd like to be able to put a drill chuck in it and a live center, but I'm not sure how it comes apart. There's a center in it now, but it's not a live center, it's part of the shaft (or seems to be). Should it come apart? If so, how? I've included pictures of the serial number on the tailstock as well as the number 2 that appear on the tailstock opposite the serial number. It's my understanding (which is limited) that these lathes had a tailstock with a #1 Morse Taper. I'm not exactly sure what I have so any help is greatly appreciated.

The tailstock
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The center
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Serial number
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Number opposite the serial number
[www.rodbuilding.org]

thanks,
jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with old lathe tailstock
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2010 10:52AM

Sometimes there is an opening on the back side of the shaft where you can insert a "tommy rod" and knock out the attachment. Generally this is on the headstock end, however. But that's a pretty old lathe and I'm not sure I've seen that particular type arrangement before. Almost surely you can remove the handle nut and get the shaft out to get a better look at how it's all put together.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 11:00AM

Mind you this is a guess, but looking at it I am thinking take the set lever all the way out and then maybe it unscrews out ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 28, 2010 11:18AM

I haven't been able to remove the shaft. I've taken the set lever out completely and it has no effect. I can get the shaft to unscrew so that the attachment is recessed back into the tailstock about 1/2" but it won't come out.

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 01:10PM

[www.owwm.com]

try this link- the serial numbers you have shown appear to be casting numbers.

Good Luck

Mark

Date: May 28, 2010 02:46PM

Mark,

Thanks, that site is a wealth of knowledge. As near as I can tell from the manuals, mine is @ a 1945. The diagram shows the cup point as removable but I'll darn if I can figure out how it comes apart...

thanks,
jeremy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 05:04PM

Jeremy,
If you look in the handle end of the tailstock, is it hollow?

On many lathes, the tail stock is hollow. Simply insert a rod into the hollow end, hit the rod with a hammer and knock the tail stock out of the tail piece.

Roger

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 06:43PM

Looks like a solidly made lathe - nice to be able to keep it in the family!

Using a soft steel rod as Tom and others have suggested is also good idea. If this hasn't been used in a while, there could be some corrosion or crud that's keeping things stuck together so spraying it inside and out with WD-40 or penetrating oil beforehand could be helpful to loosen things up.

An alternative to the steel rod method would be to try loosening the threaded handle on the end of the tailstock a couple of turns and then tap on the center of the handle with a soft mallet to see if that moves the center forward. (Unscrewing the handle too far and rapping it with a hammer could damage the threads, so it's best to just try a couple of turns and to not hit it too hard.)

Good luck!

Dan

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 30, 2010 07:15AM

Jeremy

I also was given an old Dunlop by Sears wood lathe, although mine seems to be a different model (older). I did get the wood spindle point out of the tailstock and installed a new live center without too much of a battle, although it's been a while since I did it and I don't remember specifically how I did it. I think mine was #1 MT. Later today I'll take another look at my lathe and refresh my memory of how the tailstock came apart for me. I'll post the steps I took.

Rog

Date: May 30, 2010 09:34AM

Thanks Roger, any help is greatly appreciated. In everything I've seen on my lathe, as far as paperwork, it should have a #1MT also. I just can't figure out how to get the spindle point out. There's no hole that I can see to use as a knockout. I'm not the smartest guy around, but I'm no dummy either and this thing has me stumped!

jeremy

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 30, 2010 03:28PM

Have you removed the handle on the back of the tailstock? If so, how long is the shaft and threaded portion that extends into the tailstock?

My guess is that the "spindle" that is in the tailstock DOES NOT need to be removed and that the center is removable from the spindle as I described above (similar to removing any tapered chuck, collet, etc.) or by removing the handle and inserting a steel rod as was suggested. (Assuming that the spindle doesn't extend farther forward and that it has a slot through it to insert a wedge.)

Good luck.

Dan

Posted by: Eugene Oppe (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2010 03:54PM

I would suggest asking these questions on the Old Woodworking Machines forum.

[www.owwm.org]

This is a sister site to the one linked above.

Date: May 30, 2010 07:07PM

Jeremy

I took a look at my lathe tailstock and the spindle point (not a live center) in mine was also on a #1MT shaft. It must have just "tapped out" of the tailstock mechanism. The lathe came with 2 centers, both of which are #1MT and are interchangeable. If it helps, the #1MT receiver in my tailstock can be removed from the tailstock casting by turning the crank handle counter-clockwise until it is free and pulls out of the casting. I'll attempt to post a few pics in the photo section of this site - tools. We'll see how that goes!!

Date: May 30, 2010 07:27PM

Jeremy

It seems that I have successfully posted a few pics of my lathe in the photo area. If more pics would be of help to you please tell me what you would like to see. I'll be happy to take more and post them.

Rog

Date: June 01, 2010 08:24AM

Upon further examination of the tailstock, there is not hole anywhere that I can insert a rod to knock out the attachment. The shaft is not hollow and I've taken the set lever out and the shaft will not unscrew. I've also taken Dan's advice and loosend the shaft by about a turn and tapped (pretty hard) on it with a hammer...nothing. The handle on the shaft of the tailstock is not removable- at least in any way that I can see.

I appreciate the help that all of you have given me. I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has more ideas. I am planning a trip to PSI in the next week or so and I plan on taking my lathe down there to see if they can help me out.

thanks again,
jeremy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 09:14AM

Try looking for any one on the sites that that were given you. Some one there should have some info. maybe there is a number to call.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 01, 2010 09:44AM

Bill,

I will take a look at those sites. Thanks for the info!

jeremy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster