I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod vs Spinning Rod Tapers
Posted by: John P. Rivera (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 09:45PM

Could anyone articulate the technical/colloquial difference between Fly Rod and Spinning Rod Tapers for a trout rod? Or, in other words, what is the quantitative/empirical difference between an ultra light spinning (or light spinning rod) blank versus a 3-5 weight flyrod blank?

I've read where someone would take a fly rod blank and turn it into a spinning rod...and perhaps vice versa...or whatever...

I mean...I could see where a spinning rod taper might be "too stiff (or fast) for a fly rod application and such...and I know...it may depend on the circumstances...

Please be as technical as you care to be, or as off the cuff as you care to be. I'd like to hear all sides...

Are there publicly known standards for the different types of tapers? Or, is this proprietary industry knowledge?

Thanks in advance...John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod vs Spinning Rod Tapers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2010 10:05PM

Action is not power, so get rid of that notion right away. Fast does not mean stiff, nor does slow mean soft. IGFA trolling rods are extremely slow and yet extremely powerful (stiff). Action is where the rod initially flexes, Power is stiffness. These are two entirely different things.

All rod blanks are made the same way - they are essentially just hollowed, tapered shafts. Traditionally, fly rod blanks in general are not as steeply tapered (as fast an action) as what you find in the way of fast action spinning blanks (another plus for the CCS which does not differentiate between classifications of blanks when it comes to action). In terms of how most makers rate "action," a "fast" action spinning rod blank will tend to be faster than a "fast" action fly rod blank. But this is changing quickly, i.e. check the new St. Croix SCII/IV fly rod blanks.

Many years ago when I could not find fly rod blanks with actions to suit me, I built nearly all my fly rods on fast taper spinning rod blanks. They worked perfectly for my requirements. At the end of the day, a blank is a blank is a blank. Wise rod builders will see past the manufacturers' classifications and select what they need based on the particulars of each respective blank.

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.an4.den10.da.uu.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 10:21PM

A rod is a rod is a rod.

The function of taper is to determine or define the action (AA) of the rod. What one desires in this respect is strictly a personal decision.

The principle difference between a "classic spinning rod" and a "classic trout rod" lies in the frequency of the rod blank. Spinning rods typically exhibit higher frequencies. But, again, what one desires is strictly a personal decision.

The frequency of one's trout fishing outfit is determined by the weight of the fly line used, while the frequency of one's spinning outfit is determined by the weight of the lure used. In any case, it is different for each angler who has his own unique PPF (Personal Preferred Frequency)—which, of course will probably be different for each different application.

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 09:02AM

From a non technical guy, i have 2 fly rods converted to spinning rods and have had them for about 20 years and love em.

here recently i joined a rod building club here in Houston and i now have built 2 fly rods based on my preferences ( i use the spinning reel as a counter balance and that verses the rod length and weight is so much easier on my wrists) , that and i find the the fly rod(s) seem to be so much more sensitive to the feel.

first trip out on my latest fly rod i just wanted to test it on a nice red or speck and i felt a bump, set the hook and 20 minuets later i had a 40 inch jack on shore all on 10 lb line, now you say what has this got to do with a normal spinning rod verses a fly rod.

had i used a spinning rod i would have tried to horse the fish in and maybe broken the rod and most assuredly broken the line but with the fly rod i played him and let the rod work .

so there ya go, i'll never go back to spinning rods and in fact fixing to make a fly rod/spinning combo for the wife

try it and i'll bet ya like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster