I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Expo and Reception
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2010 02:18PM

I've been in some meetings today and by early next week should be able to announce the location for the 2011 ICRBE. I can tell you that the dates will be February 26 & 27.

There was also some talk about the RodMaker Reception and while this is very preliminary, it appears that this event could possibly be greatly expanded and moved to a larger, better suited facility for 2011. Some very interesting possibilities have suddenly presented themselves. I'll have more information on that in about 2 weeks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expo and Reception
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 02:31PM

It'd be awesome to move it to Vegas so I can hit it and another conference on the same day next year.

High Point or Winston Salem would be great choices as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2010 03:36PM by matthew jacobs.

Date: May 27, 2010 02:41PM

Only trouble, is that I'd have to at least double the vendor booth and admission fees, perhaps triple them. And, it would move the event away from where most of the builders live. The demographics of doing a rod building event on this scale pretty much require that it stay east of the MIssissippi. Sorry.

I can tell you that the Expo will be in either High Point, or Winston Salem, NC.

Date: May 27, 2010 03:04PM

Relax TK, it was joke.
I'd love to make it up one day but the last 3 years I've been on the west coast doing biomass energy conferences that week. Gotta make my year before I start playing.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: May 27, 2010 03:07PM

Seems loke a lot of your builders are in the north that don't make the trip .............. Moving it to some place Central in the East would probably increase your attendance

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 03:26PM

Let's face it guys....Tom is running this thing essentially solo....regardless of where we all seem to think it should be held it needs to be near Tom......I've only been to one show, it was a great time....I can't imagine organizing something like that period....let alone if I was trying to organize far away from where I lived.......

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: May 27, 2010 03:35PM

Again Scott, it was a joke.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 03:44PM

I started thinking about the 2011 Expo on the ride home from the Expo this year! Can't wait to see what you come up with Tom.

jeremy

Date: May 27, 2010 03:56PM

Richard,

Our attendance is already spectacular. No other rod building event in any other location has or can draw even close to what the Expo does. Sure Id' take more, but a change in location isn't likey to affect that.

No matter where I locate it, somebody is going to say that it's not convenient for them. There is no single spot that will please everyone. We know that the current location has proven to be highly successful - no other rod building event has ever drawn the crowds this one does. It really doesn't have that much to do with it being near me - if I honestly felt I could do better elsewhere, for the same costs to the vendors and attendees, and with regard to things like weather, scheduling date, insurance, user friendliness, etc., I'd move in a heartbeat. So far no such location has presented itself.

I'm afraid I'll have to take the Walt Disney approach - If you want to go to DisneyWorld, you have to travel to Orlando. If you want to attend the ICRBE, you'll have to travel to North Carolina.

Matthew,

I understand, no problem. I wasn't upset - just offering an explanation in case you were serious.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 06:55PM

Matthew, I get that it was a joke...just gets old reading how everyone wants the show to be run.... I know, I know...don't read it.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2010 08:43PM

I’m with Scott on this;
NC is pretty much the same distance from Main as it is to Florida and about the same to the great Mississippi with the greatest contingent of builders being from the east cost mid southern region. Seems about far too every one.
I do understand and appreciate the commitment it takes to come from the west coast to this side of the country especially for some of the vendors such as Batson that spend small fortunes to ship their displays out and then home again.

But then there are much less that have to travel this direction them there would be if it were reversed.

I also understand that it is easy from me to say this living in NC, but if the event were held in California I would be there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2010 08:35AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 10:00PM

Well, there IS always the Convention Center on International Drive in Orlando. Great weather just about a given, Disney, Sea World and Universal close by, and Kennedy Space Center 45 minutes away. And the saltwater fishing is pretty darned good at time of year...as can be bass fishing.
The fact that I can drive there in 45minutes has NOTHING to do with anything...Hey! Why did my nose just grow???

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 06:45AM

Tom,

I am greatly looking forward to it and will be one of the first to make my room reservation. I had to miss the last years expo and will not miss this years. Thank-you for putting this on.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.dsl.telepac.pt)
Date: May 28, 2010 07:20AM

Well for me it always be a long trip, hehehehe!
But not in 2011. Maybe in the 2012 edition i will have opportunity to go there and met you guys.

Nuno

Date: May 28, 2010 07:39AM

Gary Henderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, there IS always the Convention Center on
> International Drive in Orlando.

And on a slightly off topic thought, Orlando does have great accomodations and conference centers. I spend quite a bi of time between there, Atlanta and Las Vegas every year doing trade shows. The cabs suck in Orlando but other than that I've always enjoyed my time there.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 08:44PM

Great Tom ! I'm happy your going to host another Expo. However I'm some what curious on how the respond post would be if you would of posted ???
GREETINGS ROD BUILDERS, I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO PUT ON THE 2011 EXPO SORRY !!! I,m going fishing.

<<<<DON>>>>
Fort Myers Fla.

Date: May 28, 2010 09:30PM

At some point, that will happen, so it's best never to think you can skip a year and make the next one - there may not be a next one. We were very close to not having the 2011 event. Things only came together this past week that allowed it to happen.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 11:09PM

As one who travels from California for the ICRBE, I can tell you...........................it works! Not easy, or cheap, but well worth it!

Having been involved in Trade Shows and conventions much of my career, I am agreement with TOM, it needs to be close to the mass of potential attendees. Then the value derived from attending will bring one back and the positive word of mouth will increase the numbers over time.

A massive amount of work for the producing individual, so it is his decision.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: June 01, 2010 07:10AM

There are so many whiners. It is a long drive for me too. Can`t we just be thankful that Tom is doing this for us? If you want some thing close to home mabey some one else could host your own show. After doing it I am sure you would never again complain about the distance.

Again Tom, Thank -you.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster