I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mud Hole's ProKote Expoxy
Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.chase.com)
Date: May 26, 2010 12:29PM

Just a thought:

I just got an email from Mud Hole about their new ProKote Medium Build Epoxy and it looks pretty good...I liked what I read about it. I think I'll give it a shot. Anyone else in here ever used it? If so, what did you think?

Justin Goodwin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 12:31PM by Justin Goodwin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole's Pro Kote
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 26, 2010 12:31PM

I have some here that was given to me to test at teh ICRBE, unfortunatlely I havent had a chance to test it. I intend to apply it to a test wrap and see how it holds up to the sun light, but we havent had a lot oof sun out here lately, will probably work on that soon though...

Re: Mud Hole's ProKote Expoxy
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 12:46PM

As with most new finishes,it just makes sense to buy a small amount and experiment. Test wraps. Every finish seems to have a learning curve for each user. It you get good results easily,then keep on using it.
I am hopeful that most companies making the finishes marketed to us have done their own testing. However,that involves lab settings usually. How that translates to real world use may or may not be the same. I am sure many of these finishes have been used in other applications before they were ever marketed to the rodbuilding community. It just makes good business sense that if you make a product for use as something else,find as many similar markets and target those as well. It keeps people working and money coming in for them.
Anyway,give it a shot and let us know how it works for you,good and bad.
Chuck

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 02:10PM

Nothing unusual about this. Back in the day Bullard had his Diamond Coat and then Diamond II. Clemens offered Crystal Coat and Super Poly Build as their house brands. House brands are good ideas for those that can afford to buy and package their own products. Sometimes its probably the same product you are already buying under a different label, but half the fun of rod building is trying new stuff and seeing what suits you best. Everybody likes something different and this is why there are so many brands of epoxy finish on the market. I would bet that Mud Holes finish will gain many supporters very quickly. Just depends on what you want in an epoxy.

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 02:57PM

I had the opportunity to use a sample and all the characteristics that could be observed in the short term such as leveling, cure time, bubble release, working time and flexibility were excellent.

Bill Davidor

Posted by: John Sams (66.28.139.---)
Date: May 26, 2010 03:04PM

It is a medium build.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 03:07PM

Always something new a couple of days after I place an order.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.202-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2010 03:53PM

I was able to try out a sample and have been impressed by it. Many characteristics of a high build finish, with the extended pot life of a light build. Superb bubble release, and as with any finish good leveling.

I have a test couple samples that have been out in the sun for approx a month or so now over white thread, and that thread so far still looks bright white. Time will tell on this one, but so far it is holding up better than a few other brands have at this time period.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 10:15PM

I also got a sample to try before the ICRBE. I like it. It looks like it might be a winner for saltwater fly rods where a light build isn't quite enough, but a high build is too much. It had the longest working time of any epoxy I have tried.
As for high build, I am really liking the D-2.

Posted by: Justin Goodwin (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 12:04AM

Thanks for the info everyone. You've all been extremely helpful as always.

Justin

P.S.---If any of you rod builders are in the Tallahassee, FL area, shoot me an email. wubs02@gmail.com

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: May 27, 2010 07:54AM

high build can be put on thinly to.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2010 10:01AM

High Build epoxy can be applied so thinly as to look like old fashioned varnish. However, the difference is the working thickness and while some like high build viscosity (I do) others don't. So viscosity has more to do with how manageable the user feels it is for their technique, not so much as to the build depth you ultimately end up with on your wraps.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: May 28, 2010 08:14AM

I burned through two sets of sample packs and now have it on over 30 rods. I love the pot life. I can coat a 9'6" leadcore rod with double foots in one batch, no worries and I am much slower than many. It doesn't seem to pull away from the edges like some of the other finishes. Most of the bubbles pop on their own, sorry Todd, no need for the bubble buster on your epoxy LOL. It is priced right and the savings from not doing two batches for larger rods will save money over the long haul. It does seem to set up slower, an overnight drying time before touching is best. I actually wouldn't fish this epoxy for a couple days, it does appear to take longer to fully cure. I'll take that small inconvenience with all the positives. One other thing that is nice, it works perfectly at room temperature, no need to heat it or keep a messy bottle in my pocket. I keep my shop air conditioned at 70 degrees and it works fine right off the shelf.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2010 04:41PM

Does anyone know if the Diamond II finish has UV protection in it? Heard good stuff about it, except for that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster