I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stupid is as Stupid does! Shop Safety
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2010 04:02PM

Was working at my mini-lathe and failed to slide the tail-stock up against my mandrel. Initially, was working at the slowest speed doing a bit of sanding on the wood piece. No problems at first with the larger mandrel staying true but as soon as I dialed up the turning speed by simply turning the knob on the variable speed control all @#$%& broke loose!

The mandrel went all cadywompus (bent about 30 degrees!), hit & broke the tool rest (which I thought was out of the way), and my work piece shattered! This happened in about 3 seconds! Had any part of my body been in the way I surely would have severely injured!

When working with power tools & equipment DOUBLE CHECK that all is good BEFORE you turn the tool on. I was lucky that I only ended up with a busted tool, ruined mandrel, & shattered work piece.

Be safe, not sorry!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stupid is as Stupid does! Shop Safety
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: May 25, 2010 04:07PM

Question......did your mandrel have a shouldered area cut into the portion that chucks into the chuck? The reason I mention this is because the ones that are just straight have a habit of slipping back into the chuck and pulling away from the tailstock live center. I have switched all mine to the shoulder style from Backlash due to this added safety and convenience feature. If you have the regular straight type at least put a stop coller securely in place against the chuck so it cannot slip back into the chuck on you.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 25, 2010 04:12PM

Glad you're not hurt Ray. WOW!

Date: May 25, 2010 04:26PM

Peter,

The mandrel's size prevented it from sliding through the head-stock so slippping was not the issue in my case.

Thanks Steve.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 25, 2010 06:30PM

Glad your safe Raymond.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2010 06:52PM

This is suppose to be fun - be careful !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: May 25, 2010 08:17PM

Wow, Ray, glad to hear you are OK!
Thanks for the reminder, and I'm glad it didn't come at great cost.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 25, 2010 10:21PM

WOW ! That was close Ray !
Mike Barkley posted about a year ago about getting a hand busted by a mandrel that came out of the Tail Stock and bent 90 deg. I use set collars on all my home made mandrels. Been lucky and careful so far.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Marco Antonio (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: May 25, 2010 11:05PM

What matters is that you're ready for a job near Raymond

Date: May 25, 2010 11:15PM

Thanks guys!

I hope my post helps someone not make the same mistake.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 12:59AM

Ray...glad you weren't hurt! Have you been taking lessons from @#$%& and Bobby G?

When are you going to finish that Apogee and post some pics?

Chuck

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns6.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 26, 2010 03:23AM

Don't feel too bad Ray. I did something really stupid a couple of weeks ago. I had just finished 3 x 12 hour night shifts and was really tired but I wanted to get a 37kg rod glued up. I fitted the collet and applied a good amount of 24 hour glue and then, being in a bit of a hurry, I decided I'd glue the game grip in place as well. Being tired and just a little bit short in patience I glued them up and thought, "Yep, I can go to bed now and be ready to do some binding in a day or two." When I finally went back to the rod I saw immediately that I'd stuffed up major. Yep, I forgot to put the locking nut on in front of the collet so the rod could be locked to the bent butt. To say I was a little upset is an understatement. I was more embarrassed than anything else. The glue had set and no amount of heating and twisting could get the collet off. Moral to the story is, "Think first, think again and then do what you planned but do nothing when you are tired."

Regards
Mark
Outback Rods

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 07:52AM

Damn Ray! Glad you are OK. I think about that stuff whenever I am working on the lathe. I get scared of that thing every time I use it.

As my friend that is now called "9 1/2" will tell you, fingers and stomach are never 100% safe around the lathe!

Kevin

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 01:22PM

Wait till you are doing a Weave & Thread Art using a power wrapper just to hold the butt section and just hand turning. But you for got to turn off the machine. You turn your back to step away. and step on the foot power controller. Now you have a wrap that will never come undone. LOL

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2010 01:35PM

Just as long as we don't have any right handers that are now called - Lefty Doooo

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster