I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Got a repair in to fix - Have an issue. Help requested
Posted by: Vince Nadosky (---.jonathanscott.com)
Date: May 24, 2010 01:02PM

I was given a rod to help out that need 3 new eyes put on. No Problem there

Problem is it is a 2 piece and will not break down.

The rod is about 2 months old and is a 12 foot Okuma Longitude surf rod.
He went fishing early in the day and fished all day long. When he went to leave he could n't get the rod to break down. I and another guy have tried to seperate with no luck at all.

Does anyone know any special tricks that can help me to get this rod to break down.

Thank you in Advance,
Vince Nadosky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Got a repair in to fix - Have an issue. Help requested
Posted by: Charles Lechner (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: May 24, 2010 01:13PM

might just try soaking it in water for an extended period, or use a penetrating oil. Also try a little heat on the joint with a heat gun or blow dryer.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: May 24, 2010 01:38PM

Cold

As the wall thickness decreases due to the cold, that makes the OD smaller and the ID larger.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 04:33PM

I had one like that, I lightly sprayed WD40 around the female Ferrel a time or 3 and let it sit standing up, Ferrel opening up, overnight. Next day, one pull and twisting motion and it came apart perfectly.

DR

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.static.reverse.nodesdirect.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 04:37PM

I would do the cold thing. Wrap a bag of ice around it for fifteen minutes and then try it. Also if you wind a big band of tape around the rod blank on both sides of the ferrule it will give you something to grab onto and you can put more twisting pressure into it. You want to TWIST not PULL the ferrule apart.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 05:26PM

I would lay a bag of dry ice or ice cubes around the male section, let set about 5 minutes then apply a hot rag on the female section with the dry ice or cubed ice still in place. Do not twist just pull straight out. Twisting will cause what ever foreign matter cause the rod to stick will lock it tighter. You will need two strong guys to pull, because the male section I bet goes in 3 inches. after the 2 parts separate look for scratches an foreign material. Clean out the female end with soap and water. I would then use Ferrule Lube to lubricate the male end. Do not use any oils! Oils will cause foreign material to gather in the female section. Good luck.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 06:16PM

Greetings Vince Nadosky,

Nowadays, "we" (I mean our culture) has benefitted with some great materials and tools ;

for example, epoxy, acrylics, velcro, stainless steel and yes, duct-tape.
I would want you to apply no stressors for your job; Rather, get yourself a full roll of "duct tape" for this job.

And then I want you to wrap a 'stub' beside the ferrule until this outside diameter is substantial (my guess, would be about ~11/2").

Place another matching stub of duct tape on the opposite side of the ferrule. Then, after a little bit of lube-ing fluid such as with 'armor-all' ,. WD-40, apply your best torque while twisting these stubs in opposing directions.

BTW, My crystal ball tells me that you may, also, find some powdery grit to explain the lockup. When you have opened the joint ; have some kleenex to capture any that 'grit'. Perhaps, I am wrong.

I also hope you will remember to report your findings to all us.

IMHOP though; please resist excessive: bending stresses(no bending loads), impact blows (no impacts), heating ( no heating unless you feel you are an expert like the makers), etc.

bon waggling, Vince

Bob Marie

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 24, 2010 06:47PM

Have you tried pulling them apart behind your knees ? Pulled many a stuck one apart by this method. Put the rod behind your knees and grasp it as you would normally when separating . Push your knees against your wrists, using both your legs and your hands to pull.
You will be amazed at the force you can apply using this method.
Try that before you start heating and cooling and lubing.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: May 24, 2010 08:13PM

JB has just explained the age old method for disjointing ferrules. Mostly older metal types but there should be no reason why this same method would not be equally effective on modern graphite ferrules.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2010 09:41PM

Metal ferrules were designed to be assembled and disassembled by a direct and straight push-pull motion. Integral glass and graphite were designed to be assembled and disassembled with a twisting motion. Most stuck ferrules are the result of leaving a rod assembled over period of time and having contraction and expansion due to temperature changes stick the mating pieces. Cold is nearly always a better remedy than heat on integral glass or graphite ferrules.

Posted by: Vince Nadosky (---.dsl.dytnoh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2010 10:27PM

I want to thank everyone that replied. I tried the method of packing the ferule in ice. i took a bago of ice and wrapped around the rod at ferule. Tried after 10 minutes no luck. Decided to give it another shot waited 30 minutes then we twisted and it seperated fine. Found alot of black oily like grease in there.

Once again thank you all.

Vince

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2010 02:06AM

Glad to hear you got the two sections separated. I was going to suggest pulling straight with a twisting motion while using the ice and heating method. Heating and cooling both sections at the same time seems to do the most good. Alot of good information above if you can decide which of the 17 methods you want to try.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 25, 2010 01:42PM

"black oily like grease" sounds like another attempt at using the wrong product for the wrong reason on the wrong parts! But I'll betcha that person will keep on using it!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2010 01:53PM

Might be a good idea to tell the owner of the rod that whatever he is using - Don't.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 25, 2010 01:57PM

Glade you got the rod apart. Every suggestion you received has important task on certain situation. When assembling a glass or graphite ferrule. The recommend way is to off set the 2 parts say 15% and with a twisting, pushing motion center the 2 parts. To remove just reverse the twist and lightly pull apart. Never oil a glass or graphite ferrule. I use Ferrule Lube by Trondak U-40. This product does a great job and there is no oily residue left on the blank

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 26, 2010 04:40PM

Don't get too generous with your Ferrule Lube Bob. It's not listed on Trondak"s website anymore. Mine only goes on new rods now, maybe if enough folks used it, Ralph would bring it back!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2010 05:10PM

Ralph isn't involved with the day to day operations at Trondak and hasn't been in some time. But you're right - Danny and Walt dropped it due to poor sales which is a shame because it was a very unique product that did everything it claimed to do.

Date: May 28, 2010 12:09PM

Grant I just damping my finger and apply. A little goes a long way

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2010 12:21PM

I just keep mine clean and dry.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster